Spoilers not hidden in popups!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Graham Perks, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

The thread preview popups (leave your mouse over a thread heading in the list of threads view) does not honour spoilers.
    So in this thread "SPIDERMAN ending"
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=62397
    the ending is in spoilers. However I was in the Movies thread list, happened to leave my mouse over that thread's title, and guess what, NOW I KNOW THE DARN ENDING!!! ARGH!
    Bloody annoying.

2. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I'm not sure what Parker could do about this, but now we're aware of it I suppose a handy workaround is for everyone to post any spoiler bits in a first reply to themselves. The text is always only from the first post of the thread.

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    This was one of the first things we discovered when we started to use those pop-ups. It was thoroughly discussed in this forum. There isn't much Parker can do about it immediately, but it certainly is on his list.

Cees

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    The problem is that the script strips out the HTML and vBcode from the post so the HTML that is used to make the spoiler is removed and you can now read it.

I agree with the suggestion made by Iain that everyone not post any spoilers in the first post made. This would be the best way to handle this.

Parker

5. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

That's a good workaround, but hardly a solution! Not everyone will remember to not post spoilers in first posts.

A solution might be for the script that strips HTML/vBcode to also strip text in spoiler tags.

I'm sorry I missed the earlier thread where I'm sure all this been discussed to death :)

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    The problem is that if it strips the text in the spoiler it would strip the rest of the text in the post so nothing would show up. The script wouldn't be able to differentiate between text in the spoiler and text in the body of the message.

Parker

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    An idle mouse is the devil's workshop! [​IMG]
    *duck and run*