"SPOILERS" New book from Tom Clancy, "Red Rabbit" - due in August.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hakan Powers, Feb 24, 2002.

1. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

For the last couple of years TC has always released his "Ryan-verser" novels in August every two years. The title of his next book, "Red Rabbit" has been known for some time.
    I just noticed through a post on alt.books.tom-clancy that it is now up for preorder at amazon.com
    Here's the description:
    Long before he was President or head of the CIA, before he fought terrorist attacks on the Super Bowl or the White House, even before a submarine named Red October made its perilous way across the Atlantic, Jack Ryan was an historian, teacher, and recent ex-Marine temporarily living in England while researching a book. A series of deadly encounters with an IRA splinter group had brought him to the attention of the CIA's Deputy Director, Vice Admiral James Greer-as well as his counterpart with the British SIS, Sir Basil Charleston-and when Greer asked him if he wanted to come aboard as a freelance analyst, Jack was quick to accept. The opportunity was irresistible, and he was sure he could fit it in with the rest of his work.
    And then Jack forgot all about the rest of his work, because one of his first assignments was to help debrief a high-level Soviet defector, and the defector told an amazing tale: Top Soviet officials, including Yuri Andropov, were planning to assassinate the Pope, John Paul II.
    Could it be true? As the days and weeks go by, Ryan must battle, first to try to confirm the plot, and then to prevent it, but this is a brave new world, and nothing he has done up to now has prepared him for the lethal game of cat-and-mouse that is the Soviet Union versus the United States. In the end, it will be not just the Pope's life but the stability of the Western world that is at stake. . . and it may already be too late for a novice CIA analyst to do anything about it.
    So, it seems we get another prequel - should be a good read. August can't come soon enough for me [​IMG]
    Any other TC fans here? Interest should rise with the new "Sum of All Fears" movie due from Paramount this summer. What are your favorite TC works? We have 6 months until the new book - plenty of time to discuss the rest of his books.
    Actually, it might be time to give a few of them another read [​IMG]

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

I often wondered just how TC would make a new Ryan book; at the end of every novel, or the beginning of the next, he gets a promotion. Analyst -> ddci -> dci -> NSA -> vice president -> accidental president -> elected president -> ? Seems to me that next he needs to ascend to a higher state of being. :)

3. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Ruler of the universe? [​IMG]
    I'm semi-excited about the next movie, although I know they're just gonna butcher it up real bad (Jack Ryan takes a step back in years by how many?). Book wise, it's kind of a wierd plot twist to do another prequel, but I'm sure I'll love it none the less. But I guess there won't be any John Clark in this one...
    So what's everybody's favorite Clancy book? I like Without Remorse, Rainbow Six (hey I like the Clark character), Executive Orders. I did like this last one quite a bit as well (oh hell, I enjoy all of them).
    Andrew

4. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Red Storm Rising has to be my personal fave, even today. Its a great little Cold-War time capsule, and it is a complete yarn; no prequels or sequels. I'd recommend the large print version, its a long book even for those without vision problems.
    Without Remorse would be second; a real great change from the norms of the series.
    Can't wait for the new one; I hated the Ops Center series.

5. Hakan Powers

So today is the big day.. anyone pick this up yet?

Personally I'm hoping to be able to get it tomorrow..

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    ah, a prequel. I was wondering where Clancy was going to take the next Ryan book, considering he's already POTUS. Sec-Gen of the UN? [​IMG]

7. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

I read a couple pages and I'm confused. Does Red Rabbit take place after Patriot Games? I see references to Jack Ryan saving the Prince and being a knight and then the only other thing I can picture is Harrison Ford instead of say, Ben Affleck. Where does this book fit in?

8. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

I picked it up yesterday as well. My impression is that it takes place just after Patriot Games and before Hunt for Red October. Jack Ryan has just been officially hired by the CIA and its his first day at the job.

9. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

I saw Tom Clancy on the TODAY Show the other day discussing the book...pretty funny interview...

Matt Lauer asked Tom about "frequently being asked to consult/give opinions on certain situations for the Feds."

Tom pretty much said...Well, I did it once and once only.

Oh well. Told the wife that this is a book that I must have in Hardback. I forgot all about the books coming out every August. Will have to pick it up...today.

10. RossTerry

RossTerry Guest

i like watching the Tom Clancy interviews, he's very straight forward and funny.

he says he doesnt like writing the books but he does it because the pay is so good

11. Danny R

Danny R Supporting Actor

Halfway through... the plot is pretty interesting, but Clancy is certainly going overboard on the political commentary this time around, repeatedly slamming the old communist system and taking shots at England's medical system to boot.

But anyway, I've got a quick question. Can someone remind me who Cassius is? Thats the code name for a soviet informant who is close to Washington politicians.

12. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Without a doubt, this book is the worst Clancy I have ever read. Too bad, the man seems to have lost interest in his work. Boring. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    On another note, Andy McNab's Remote Control and Crisis Four are both good. My library does not have Bravo Two Zero so I guess I will have to buy that one.

13. Hakan Powers

Unfortunately I've got to agree.. far from the best clancy. I'd say this is on par with Rainbow Six, another TC I found to be less interesting than the rest.

I'm trying to remember who Cassius is.. IIRC he's part of the plot in Cardinal of The Kremlin, but I could be wrong.. I'm going to re-read Patriot Games and The Hunt For Red October first before taking on Cardinal again.

14. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

At least Rainbow Six had some decent shoot'em-ups. Red Rabbit has nothing. No suspense:
    the History Channel that Jack Ryan is so fond off even ran a program about the Pope and the Soviet Union, and it's pretty well known that he got shot but survived the attack.

I was really disappointed. Clancy wrote some good books, but now he's just hacking.

15. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

You know, take Jack Ryan out of the book, and it'd be decent. I liked the Ed & Mary Pat stuff, for instance, and the discussions back at Langley. But there's no good reason for Ryan to be in this story (it doesn't help matters that Bob Ritter keeps reminding you that there's no good reason for Ryan to be involved).

The end was pretty lackluster, too - once it became clear that Clancy was just Forrest Gumping Ryan into the real events rather than making something up, it seemed like a letdown.

And, oh, the padding. Not just the recognizable Clancyisms - we all recognize those, don't we? It's not so bad; an author should have a recognizable style, shouldn't he? But just repeating the same observations over and over again is the mark of a lazy writer, isn't it?

::sigh:: Really wanted to like this one, and if it were a 300-page Ed & Mary Pat adventure, I'd recommend it wholeheartedly.

16. Randy_Sh

Randy_Sh Stunt Coordinator

Geez. I didn't end up buying it as I said I was...wife checked it out of the local library for me...well, I am not happy to say that I didn't finish it...couldn't. I had it for 2 weeks, and then renewed and another 2 weeks went buy...just couldn't get through it...

I had a hard time getting into the plot, I did enjoy what I read of the Ed/Mary Pat stuff...but that's about all...

Will have to try again later this year...picked up another Robert Ludlum novel instead...

Will have to dig up my copies of Red October, Cardinal, etc..oh well...