What's new

Spocks Beard rumor :-( (1 Viewer)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
There is a terrible rumor going around on the SB.com and DT.net message boards about Neal Morse leaving Spocks Beard. Here's a link to a specific thread on SB.com. Lets hope this isn't true.
Link Removed

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Brian,
Call me an optimist, but I'm not going to take an internet messageboard rumour seriously. Besides, how can you have a SB w/o Neil? If he wouldn't want to do it anymore, the band would break up.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
dude, no way i want this to be true and you're right, no NM = no SB. the Admin's over at SB.com haven't said anything one way or the other about this situation and just that is getting people worried. Like me!

Louis C

Supporting Actor
IF this is true, we can at least still pin our hopes on future Transatlantic releases, right?
I know, that's no consolation... :frowning:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Man this is really scaring me. No official word from anyone. something is wrong. No Beard = sadness....pure sadness
:frowning:

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator
Y'know, this rumor has been around all summer, since Neal annouced he was starting a label for Christian music, and, in so doing, announced he was a Christian. Within days, people were posting at SB.com that Neal was leaving the beard to join the ministry or to do Christian music only.
When this latest round started, I wrote it off. Some guy that claims to know someone who is affiliated with the Flower Kings started it. Too "friend of a friend of a friend" for me.
But, PapaJim, the moderator of the SB.com boards made a post saying "My official comment is....no comment." He and several other guys close to the band post there quite regularly, but have remained silent on this issue. I'm starting to think that something is up, but maybe not the end of the band. Neal has said in some interviews promoting Snow that he's really burned out. It may be possible that's he's just going to announce there will be no tour and that he's taking a break from music, period. I have no inside info (even though the guy only lives about two hours from me), but come on; does any prog band really break up? :) I'll keep my hopes up, but if he does leave, it's not the end of the world.
In more positive Beard news, their DVD is set to come out next month.
Edited to add: In response to a thread at SB.com comparing Neal Morse to Cat Stevens (rock star leaving music because of religion), PapaJim just posted this:
"Ah yes, the "CAT" analogy.
Let us instead turn to the words of Mark Twain: "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated." "
Finally, encouraging words from someone in the know.
NP: Pocupine Tree In Absentia

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
The rumor is true, I just received the SB newsletter via email. Here's the note:
A Statement from Neal:
Dear fans and friends of Spock's Beard,
I'm sorry to say that the rumors are true, I am leaving Spock's
Beard for parts unknown. I feel that God wants me to do something
else, and I'm not sure why exactly, but it's a feeling I've had
for a while. I've been hoping it would change, but it hasn't,
and so I'm quitting.
I want you all to know that I've given it careful consideration,
thought and prayer, and it's with great sadness that I make this
announcement.
The band is going on and I fully love and support them and I
hope you will too.
Thanks to you all for making our dreams come true. My family
and I wish you all the best.
A very sad day for me. I hope he occasionally gets together with Transatlantic or this departure will greatly affect two bands.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I have hope for Transatlantic. Yes, Neal was a big part of it but the other members started to assert themselves more on BAF. Hopefully they'll continue on with TA. If they don't I'll be truly and deeply depressed. As much as I love SB, it doesn't compare to TA. I've worn out my copies of SMPTe, Live in America, and BAF.

Good luck to Neal and to SB.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks