What's new

Splitting Rear Channel? (1 Viewer)

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I'm shopping for a 6.1/7.1 receiver in the $400-$500 range, and have been reading that 1 rear surround channel is not going to sound nearly as accurate as 2.

I also read that if you only have 1 powered rear surround out (a 6.1 receiver), you should use a splitter on the 1 rear channel and hook it to two speakers. Is that advice alright or am I better off finding a receiver with 2 powered rear outs (7.1)?

I'm leaning toward the Kenwood 6070, but any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,

- JS

GregLee

Stunt Coordinator
Since the 6070 has pre-outs for left and right back surrounds, you'd have the option of adding a stereo amp if hooking 2 speakers up to a single amp doesn't work out well.

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
Running two speakers off the one rear amp can also work, though having two seperate amps will obviously be better especially if you have a big room with big sound. I use a Denon 1803 which actually allows you to connect two speakers to the sixth amp. I use this setup for a 7.1 system and have found it an improvement over 6.1. But this is in my bedroom, a relatively small area, where i'm running some JBL N-24's off the one 80 watt amp (they certainly don't crave tons of power). Overall, two seperate channels of amplification will give you better sound but running off of one can work if you choose that route. Check out the H/K 325.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
That Pioneer 811s was on my list of receivers to check out, and I finally did, and it's very impressive. I didn't think anything could top the Kenwood 6070 in the $400 price range, but I think it really does, and it has the dual outs for the rear surround I wanted.

Thanks for all the help!

- JS

Glad I found this thread, In the case of the Kenwood 6070...what type of splitter would I shop for to split the back surround output between the two back surround speakers? I have one on the way along with a pair of Infinity OWS1s for the rears to upgrade my current 5.1 HT.
Thanks-
John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks