Splitting Preamp Output

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ToddMS, May 9, 2004.

1. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

Hey everyone, I searched all the archives and haven't found a solution to this very simple problem. I am trying to send a line-level signal to two amps from my preamp. No eq needed, just a straight copy of the signal. My current solution is:

preamp -> normal rca cable -> cable extender (female to female) -> y-splitter (male to 2 female) -> 2 normal rca cables -> amps

Problem is there is a lot of hum when I attach the second rca cable (produced by a short?). I have seen solutions using a Y cable, but I would like to avoid this if possible. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help...

Todd Schneider

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    You shouldn’t be getting any hum. However, your cabling set-up is a bit convoluted – perhaps you should simplify it. Get a long enough cable to loose the intermmediate female-to-female cable (wow, can’t say that I’ve ever seen one of those!).

All you need is a long regular (male-to-male) RCA cables, a male-to-2-female splitter, and a short regular RCA cable.

Preamp --> regular RCA cable --> female of splitter --> male of splitter to first amp. Then run the second (short) regular RCA cable between the other splitter female and the second amp.

Regards,
    Wayne

3. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

Hmm, doing this seems to only send the signal to the one amp connected directly to the splitter. The second amp is receiving no signal at all. I might just go find a cheap y-cable and see if that works for now. Thanks for the help

Todd

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Todd,

It will work fine. The signal does not "dead end" with the first amp. A splitter can be inserted anywhere in a signal chain.

Regards
    Wayne

5. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

I got a y-cable and it all works now. Must have been a problem with the cheap splitter I was using. Thanks again for the help.

Todd