Splitting Image on DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_Medenwaldt, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I didn't find info on this series in the search, So I'd like to ask if anyone has info on the tv show Splitting Image, if it will be coming to DVD. If some of you are not familliar with the show it ran a couple times in the mid 80's on NBC and consisted of puppets. It was an English show from across the pond. I believe the show ran for a while in the UK but it only aired a couple times here in the states. The name of one of the shows was: "Splitting Image: Down and Out at the White House".

I remember enjoying the show and I do believe I have it taped on (i don't mean to say the V word, but) VHS. This show started me out enjoying English humor, such as The Young Ones then on to better and greater shows like Monty Python. Also any info on the Young Ones would be great to know to.

Thanks

Paul

2. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    The show (it's actually Spitting Image, not Splitting) did indeed run for a few years on the UK independent television channel ITV. I watched it regularly.
    It was a very topical news satire show: I can remember one week in which a government minister resigned in a huff on Thursday afternoon. By Friday night, the Spitting Image writers and performers had managed to fill half of their 30-minute slot with material about that resignation and the controversy from which it sprang.
    I'd love to see DVDs of Spitting Image, but I'd be very surprised if they happened. I doubt the powers that be would perceive much demand for them. The topicality of the show makes it very dated: if you don't remember the events of that time, the jokes and references are puzzling rather than amusing. Even if it was released, I'd expect it to only be an R2 release in the UK: it wasn't ever popular enough in the USA to justify a big release.
    doug
    P.S. For those who don't recognise the name of the show: if you've ever seen the video for the Genesis song "Land of Confusion" -- the one with Prince's long tongue -- then you've seen the work of the Spitting Image folks.

3. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Spitting Image was hilarious! The puppets were excellent charicatures of the politcians of the day. I particularly enjoyed their satire of Thatcher, Norman Tebbit, The Queen and Reagan. The "President's Brain is Missing" bits were particularly funny, Reagan's walnut sized brain escaped his body and made its way to the USSR and inserted its self into the head of a Russian Leader "the trouble with this country is there are tomany G*****n communists!"

I agree thought that it is unlikely to find its way onto DVD.

4. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I stand corrected on the spitting [​IMG]
    I looked info on the internet and i put in splitting image and found info on that, so i went with spllitting.
    Below is what i found at IMDB on Spitting image
    What on earth went wrong? From its start in 1984 through to 1993 this was the best satire series on TV, but when Giles Pilbrow took over as producer in 1994 things went from bad to worse. The witty humor turned into spiteful name-calling and the whole thing adopted a very down-market, tacky feel to it. Though the first 1994 series shows promise to begin with, before long it descends into childish, playground-style sniping at people. Satire is much more effective if it's subtle, but 'subtle' is a word which is obviously missing from Pilbrow's dictionary. By the 1996 (final) series, things were at an all-time low. The comical, imaginative voices were replaced by the same smug, self-satisfied tones which cropped up time and time again, the series seemed to center more on pop groups rather than politicians and public figures and most of the songs had become dire. Though the 1996 series had a few good ideas, rather than humorous sketches there was an insufferably smug voice relating political facts and lists of statistics. More of a documentary than a satire show. This approach also displays a very lazy, interest-lacking attitude.
    The older Spitting Image series are unmissable - hilarious, well-made, well-thought-out. But Pilbrow ought to be ashamed for running this great series into the ground. The only good he ever did the show was stopping it in 1996 rather than dragging it to even more ignoble depths.

5. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

I worked on this show. I hated every minute of it. Worst show I ever worked on.

6. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    Craig, I just watched The Adventures of Pinocchio on TV last week; and you performed Pepe the Cricket? Cool!

Adam

7. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

I sure did. A great few weeks. However, I have yet to see the film. I can not find a DVD copy anywhere.

8. Kamrano

Kamrano Extra

So who owns the rights to this show?

If theres enough demand, then I'm sure they can release this on DVD.