What's new

Splitting HDMI between 4k TV and older 7.1 receiver (1 Viewer)

JGamer84

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesss
I'm planning to get a PS4 Pro soon. My problem is that, while I have a fairly new Samsung 4k TV, my 7.1 receiver is much older (rx-v665 to be specific HDMI 1.3a/1080p support). Is there any sort of splitter or matrix that can let me get 4k on the TV and 7.1 from the receiver rather than downgrading to 1080p or 5.1 for about $50 or so? Or any other sort of work around short of replacing my receiver to get the best performance out of both devices?

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I was in your boat for awhile. I tried several different switches that were supposed to be able to pass 4K signals without success. My workaround was to send the video signal directly to the TV and a separate sound signal to the receiver. Eventually I ran out of HDMI inputs on the TV and had to buy a new receiver that was capable of supporting the HDMI/HDCP handshakes.

JGamer84

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesss
How did you send a seperate audio signal? Over digital optical? Or did you find a way to preserve the 7.1 surround? I've already got optical running from the TV to the AVR for the smart TV apps and I think the TV has an ARC hdmi port but as far as I know both of those only support 5.1.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
If the component supported it, I ran a second HDMI signal (e.g. Samsung UHD player). Otherwise optical and/or coax. My setup is 5.1 as my room is not conducive to host 7 speakers.

JGamer84

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesss
Ok, thanks for the input but I've already got that setup. I'm really just hoping there's something I can do to get real 7.1 and 4k without having to replace the whole receiver.

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
Yeah. I tried w/o success and ended up with the new receiver. Switch I tried was from Frys - don't recall the brand. My original receiver also supposedly passed through 4K but also failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks