Splitting DSL between computers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by STLMIKE, Feb 26, 2002.

1. STLMIKE

STLMIKE Stunt Coordinator

I would like to split my DSL line between my desktop where it is currently installed and my old laptop that is a P2 166 mhz w/ 96 MB of RAM running W98.

Any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My suggestion would be a DSL router.... They're going for pretty cheap nowadays, and sometimes even around $80 USD after coupons and rebates and such...

check out bensbargains.net once in awhile, they'll usually post up some great deals on Routers and other computer parts as well as non-computer stuff...

If you're a computer guy, try setting up a LAN, but that would require you to turn on your PC when your ntebook wants to go online

3. Randy_T

Randy_T Stunt Coordinator

Does your laptop have a network adapter? A router would let you split your connection between your desktop and laptop.I would recommend wireless, but this option is expensive. A good router is Linksys

4. Yoshi Sugawara

Yoshi Sugawara Stunt Coordinator

If you have Windows 98 Second Edition, there is an Internet Connection Sharing option available. I don't have W98SE, but I'm sure if you search for "Internet Connection Sharing" in online help, it'll give you instructions on how to do it.
    I share an internet connection with this program:
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0...st-7-1.5594606
    It works pretty well, without much tweaking. I have a P2-350 and share my DSL with two other computers without any trouble at all.
    This is all assuming you're going to network the computers with an Ethernet connection. You also need ethernet cards for your laptop and desktop as well as ethernet cables, and an ethernet hub.
    Good luck!

5. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

Hey Mike,

What type of DSL modem do you have? (internal, external, usb) If it's external, and connects via a network card, you can get a simple ethernet hub and connect the cable from the modem to the uplink port on the hub, then run cable to both boxes from the hub. Pretty cheap and simple really.

If this isn't the case, give us a few more details on the HW, OS, etc.

T

6. Andrew Santos

Andrew Santos Stunt Coordinator

if you have a really old computer around, you can use that as a router. you'd just need a couple of NICs and you'll be good to go. but i guess the best route would be to do what Yoshi said, unless you want to hook up more than two computers in the future. then i'd say a hardware router would be the best way to go. cuz if you use one of your computers as the router, it'll quickly get filled up with NICs, and you might not have enough free slots left for that type of job.

7. STLMIKE

My DSL modem is USB, which the laptop has also (btw, it's a 266, not a 166).

I could get a network card for the laptop I suppose, but would that be compatible w/the USB modem? Are there any DSL routers that work via USB?

8. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Mike,
    I don't know if you're familiar with this site or not, but DSLReports.com has a nice tutorial on connection sharing. Read about it here.
    -Brett.

9. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I have DSL and a wireless network system in the house here. The main PC, my son's laptop does NOT need to be on for the other PC's in the house to be online.

DAMN easy..convenient and VERY flexible.

10. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

You just might want to be careful how you share that account. For example.. you are probably only paying for one IP address. So if you are using DHCP to obtain an IP and are not using a router, having two computers on will draw two IP's. This is not an endorsement for cheating companies out of money, or stealing in any way, but if you use a router it will draw one IP address, and in turn act as a DHCP server on the inside of your network, giving you as many IP addresses as you may possibly need. ( It is actually limited based on the class of the router, but unless you have more than 250 computers in your home, you should be fine ). Also remember that if you have two computers on and are using both computers for internet surfing/downloading/uploading at the same time, you will be sharing bandwidth for your account. So where one computer may be fast, two computers can slow it down.

11. STLMIKE

I'm not sure what DHCP means, but all I want to do is to use either one computer or another on the DSL. I don't need to run them both at the same time.

12. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Mike,

Your DSL modem only has a USB connection? Most of the "dual" models I've seen have a USB connection AND an RJ45 Ethernet connection port.

If yours has one (looks like a big phone jack) then your best bet is to get the LinkSys DSL router. It works wonderfully and is a no-brainer to setup, especially if you are on DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) which means that your DSL host gives you a new IP every week or so rather than assigning you a fixed IP.

13. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

If you are only interested in using one computer at a time, and you say your modem has a USB connection interface, than you can just go with a usb hub, or splitter. If it has an RJ45 connection, you can get a small pony hub for less than 20 bucks. And that is really plug and play !

14. Tom Lowden

Tom Lowden Agent

Nothing against him personally, but I'd have to STRONGLY disagree with Randy_T's recommendation of getting a wireless router. Right now, wireless networking is extremely insecure, especially if you're using DHCP. In case you're not using a firewall, you should really do that as well.

I ended up getting a Linksys cable/DSL router (it works fine for either) for ~$80 from best buy. It has 4 ports (and you can always add more later for very little $) and shares the connection for up to 4 computers at a time. It has a built-in firewall (to help keep you safe from hackers) and only needs for a computer to be on when you initially set it up. After that, you don't need to keep any computers on for the connection to work. You just plug in whenever you need to connect. If you want more details, let me know and I'll post them.

Good luck!

- Tom -

15. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

Tom - I really don't think security is a major concern for most home users with a wireless router. The range on these things is fairly limited. Unless you have knowledgeable and malicious neighbors, you don't have anything to worry about.

A better reason to avoid wireless networks is the high cost relative to wired networks - 3 times the cost for 1/10th the speed. Then again, running cables is not practical for some folks.