What's new

Splitting a Satallite Feed (1 Viewer)

Greg_GG

Grip
Hello everyone I a new. I love home theater and everthing that comes with it. On the bad side is that I don't have that much knowlege about it. I do have two questions the first is, if I want to do installs where do I begin. The second is I want to add addition DSS (Direct TV) recievers. I have two lines coming in from the dish is there anyway I can jump off one of the lines or do I have to use both line to go into a muti-switch? Thank You for your time Greg

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Hey Greg, welcome to the HTF. I am going to give you fast answers because I am just about to fall asleep but it will give you a bump back to the top. To install it is the same idea of using a VCR as a cable box. Just run the regular RG-6 Coaxial Cable (fancy name for the type of cable that screws into the back of a tv or vcr, but make sure its RG-6 not RG-59) from the dish outside to the receiver inside. How you decide to do that is another question, but in theory it is quite simple. In an apartment or an informal setting it can be run through a window so no drilling through walls is required. The second question I am not sure on at all. I believe you can buy a 2.4ghz splitter that would work fine, but you would need two receivers. If I am wrong then yes, you do need a multiswitch. My recommendation before you install is to get an epileptical dish if you can spring for one. That way you are prepared for the future and won't have to re-install down the line and also they come with a 4 output multiswitch included. OK, that was longer than I thought. Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can't use a splitter between the dish and receivers. It will not work. That's why there are multi-switches.

The previous statement is not 100% correct. You can use splitters when using multiple multi-switches or you are using stacked LNB's.

-Robert

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
The elliptical dish does not (I don't think) come with a 4 way multiswitch. The reason for the elliptical dish is so you can receive off of multiple Sat's. so in the end the signals are combined and only two lines come off of the dish. Otherwise two lines would carry one set of channels and the other lines would carry different channels.

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
The elliptical DirecTV dish comes with a 4x4 multiswitch which takes the two inputs from the two LNBs (total 4, so that's the 4 in) and provides up to 4 outputs (the second 4). But, you have to run separate wires from this multiswitch to each receiver you want to use.

SMK

RoyGBiv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven Kempner
In re-reading the initial question it appears that Gregg has just a round dish with one dual LNB. There are 2 x 4 multiswtiches that allow you to take the two lines from the one LNB and output that one signal to four receivers also. Again, you have to run separate lines from the multiswitch to each individual receiver.

SMK

Greg_GG

Grip
Thank everyone for there replys. I got a powered RCA muti-switch and it worked. I do have another question I am interested in getting into the field of Home Theater installs does anyone know of a good place to start?
Thank Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks