Splitting 12 guage

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Justin=>, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Justin=>

Justin=> Extra

Is it possible to split the + and - ends of a 12 gauge speaker cable to bi-wire into the load? Just wanted to find out because I have 2 speaker cables for the rear channels, running behind the drywall of a basement being finished but realized the Tannoy S6's I just purchased are bi-wire capable.
    I don't want to take apart the drywalls to install an extra set
    of cables.

Info: -Tannoy S6 6ohm 30-120 watt RMS
    -Yamaha RXV 2300 110watt/channel

Thanks for any suggestions![​IMG]

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Do you mean 2 wires for each? I'm assuming you mean 2 wires total(one wire for each surround). Regardless about the never-ending argument about whethter bi-wiring makes ANY difference at all, just splitting the wire at the speaker end, removing the jumpers and wiring to each is not biwiring, since you're still using one wire and just splitting it at the end. You can do it sure, but it accomplishes the exact same thing as the jumper accomplishies. It's not even worth the 30 seconds it would take to splice wires, or whatever. I say you just leave the jumpers and just wire normally. And given the very dubious "improvement" claims about biwiring, it's TOTALLY not worth your time tearing apart the drywall to bi-wire. I wouldn't even do it to bi-amp properly...these are surrounds we're talking about anyway. My .02

3. Justin=>

Justin=> Extra

I bi-wired my front mains and noticed more distinguishing ranges on the highs and lows. I assumed if I bi-wired the rears by splitting the + and - on the same cable and removing the bridges on the speaker, it will give me a more full surround sounding range.
    I was just wondering if the 12 gauge can handle it.

4. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I guess i'm still a little confused by what precisely you're trying to do. I had assumed that you meant, that you'd connect the single 12-gauge wire (i'm only talking about one speaker at a time for clarity) to the amp, it's run behind drywall somewhere to the rear of your room to be used for a surround speaker. There, you remove the jumpers, and then cut the wire, and split the strands, or splice two wires onto the end, and then connect this newly split wire, one to each terminal. Am I following right?

So, since you hear a difference biwiring your mains, i see your desire to do the same to the rears. However, what i just described isn't biwiring, because the signal is still traveling down ONE wire, all the way to the speaker, there it's split. I had assumed that the discussed benefits of biwiring had to do with running two separate wires to the HF and LF parts of the speaker. Doing it in the way i described, just splitting the wire at the speaker accomplishes the exact same thing as the jumper i would assume. Perhaps someone else can chime in. But the wire shouldn't have any problem handling it, it's still carrying the same power as normally, in the same way. You can do this no problem, it's just i'm not seeing any reason to do such a thing.

5. Justin=>

Justin=> Extra

There, you remove the jumpers, and then cut the wire, and split the strands, or splice two wires onto the end, and then connect this newly split wire, one to each terminal. Am I following right?
    __________________________________________________ ______________

Yes, that is exactly what I was trying to describe. Sorry if I did not make it sound clear.
    I guess I feel more confident about splicing and connecting the the wire now. Thanks!