What's new

splitters? (1 Viewer)

robertBI

Auditioning
Happy New Year to all! Is there a way of splitting audio and video signals from a DVD player to both a reciever and a TV?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You should be using a digital connection (optical or coaxial) to the reicever, which would leave the analog connection for the TV.

robertBI

Auditioning
Thanks, I do have a digital out (no optical) on my Sony DVD NS575, but is it not just for audio? My receiver is a Yamaha HTR5550, and it has 1 digital in (for CD only). If I want to play DVD's on the TV only, should I try to split the component cables?
Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The digital output is for audio only.

No, you can’t split video signals – it screws them up badly. The DVD player has S- and composite video outputs as well as component. You can use one of those for your second video send.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

robertBI

Auditioning
Ok, so I can connect the s-vid to the tv, now how about the audio out, can I splt that portion?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The vast majority of TVs do not accept digital signal, since most do not have built in processors (or even digital audio connections). As I noted in my first post, you can send the digital signal to the reciver and the analog signal to the TV.

Component video (3 RCA) does not carry audio signal, so splitting it won't get you what you are looking for. If you have this type of connection on your TV, you should use it over s-video.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Yes you can – the L/R analog audio outs, that is. But you aren’t using those jacks for anything right now, so why do you need to split them?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

robertBI

Auditioning
I must be missing something, my HTR 5550 has only 1 digital input (for a CD player) and 3 optical inputs. Unfortunately my dvd does not hav an optical out.

robertBI

Auditioning
Checked that site out, it must be wrong? The back of my player has the following:
component video out
line out video
s video out
line out L/R audio
digital out coaxial

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I recently setup a 5490, and I was able to reassign the coaxial input. Check your manual to see if you can do this for yours.

He said 575, not 975. This pic shows it has coax only:

pic

robertBI

Auditioning
My DVD is a Sony NS575, and my receiver is a Yamaha HTR5550. The pic looks exact. Could I run audio and video to both receiver and tv?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Robert, that question has already been answered.

Regarding the digital coax issue with your DVD player: If you can’t re-assign the receiver’s single coaxial input (as John mentioned) you won’t be able to get 5.1 Dolby Digital sound unless you replace either the receiver or the DVD player.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you can't reassign it, you can do what I did with that other system until I figured out how to reassign (no OSD, unintelligible menu options, had to locate a manual) - just use the "CD" input for the DVD player. I know, it sucks to do that, but as long as it works... If you don't have a separate CD player, it shouldn't be a terrible deal, except that it won't say "DVD" when you use the DVD player. :)

There are coax to optical adapters that you could use also, but I haven't tried any, so I don't know if it would be a worthwhile investment.

If you have enough inputs on your TV, there's no real reason to run the video to your receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks