What's new

Splitter Losses (1 Viewer)

SeanA

Second Unit
I just discovered that my indoor antenna will also receive FM signals. So I am thinking of using a Monster 2 GHz 2-way splitter to route both digital video and FM reception from my indoor antenna. Will this work or are splitters made just for video signals ?

Assuming it will work, I have some other concerns:
The Monster 2-way splitter claims a signal loss of about 5 dB between 1 GHz to 2 GHz. I am a bit concerned that this loss might adversely affect my OTA video reception going through my Samsung SIR-T151 receiver. How significant is a 5 dB loss ? And is this loss always there if I run a signal through the splitter, regardless of whether or not I actually have a second connection to the splitter ?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sean, my gut feeling is that if you are doing this just to get FM, you are probably better off getting or making a dedicated FM antenna with the money you would spend on a splitter and possibly an amp to compensate for the splitter. I am almoost certain you have the signal loss going through a splitter whether or not something is connected to the second connection on the splitter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks