Splitter Losses

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SeanA, Apr 13, 2003.

1. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I just discovered that my indoor antenna will also receive FM signals. So I am thinking of using a Monster 2 GHz 2-way splitter to route both digital video and FM reception from my indoor antenna. Will this work or are splitters made just for video signals ?

Assuming it will work, I have some other concerns:
    The Monster 2-way splitter claims a signal loss of about 5 dB between 1 GHz to 2 GHz. I am a bit concerned that this loss might adversely affect my OTA video reception going through my Samsung SIR-T151 receiver. How significant is a 5 dB loss ? And is this loss always there if I run a signal through the splitter, regardless of whether or not I actually have a second connection to the splitter ?

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Sean, my gut feeling is that if you are doing this just to get FM, you are probably better off getting or making a dedicated FM antenna with the money you would spend on a splitter and possibly an amp to compensate for the splitter. I am almoost certain you have the signal loss going through a splitter whether or not something is connected to the second connection on the splitter.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Generally 1 split does very little