Split out component HDTV?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Philip Hamm, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm thinking of putting an HDTV monitor in the corner of my basement and running it from the same HDTV receiver I already have. Can I use Y connectors on the single component out from the HDTV box to two 50' runs of component for two HDTVS? Or do I need some kind of other solution?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You need a one-in, 2-out video splitter.

A simple "Y" adaptor will mess up the impedence of the wire which will cause issues for the signals.

A second receiver is the prefered method if you can swing it. Good video splitters run about $100.

I did see a 4-in, 2-out switch at Radio Shack for about $60 that claimed it would handle HD (but I could not find the manual that listed the bandwidth).

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    The other question is it really worth the expense and effort? I have my HD Tuner in the main system and use the 'S' output of it into the bedroom TV on the other side of the wall. My tuner's video amp circuitry will only allow one or the other to play so I can't watch them at the same time which is not an issue to me. Splitting video signals with a conventional one-in 2 out splitter usually results in about a 3.5db (give or take a little) loss of signal. If you don't need them both at the same time you could also do the (3) high isolation A/B swithces at about $8-10 each.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I want them both at the same time.

One would go to the X1, and the other would go to an as yet unbought monitor over the pool table in the other corner of the basement. My Toshiba 151 does component HD and SD simultaneoulsly so I can send out S-Video to the second small TV if I want. But I'm looking at 17" HDTV 16:9 monitor for over the pool table... Seems like it would be a waste to send HD to the X1 which is ED and send SD to an HDTV monitor, even if it's only 17".

I'd be better off with a second tuner, that way of there are two football games on I can have both of them on.

Of course I do have a 96" screen for the X1. It's not like you can't see the game when you're over at the pool table. Hell, with a 17" monitor the picture will be a lot bigger way the hell across the room than it is right there...... But it would be damn cool to have two different games going.

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer
    Supporter

Phil
    You may want to hold off as long as you can on the 17 inch monitor. I almost pulled the trigger on a Best Buy close-out for 20 inch LCD one for the kitchen that will replace a 13 inch CRT when I re-do the kitchen sometime later this yr. or early next. Then reasonableness got the better of me. Digital tuners are mandated by the FCC (www.fcc.gov) to be in more sets in the very near future and the last I heard for the analog broadcast drop dead date was that it was proposed to be moved back to Jan. 2009.

6. Orlando

Orlando Stunt Coordinator

If your going to run two displays your going to need an amp on the splitter. I tried the y-cable approach with really, really bad results. I bought a Video-Storm 4-in 2-out for under 100 with great results. I use it for a Sony 40" and my Runco projector.