What's new

Split center speaker for "centered" effect? (1 Viewer)

techtheater

Auditioning
Real Name
WF
I am building a home theater and my "screen" is not going to be acoustically transparent (it is actually a painted sheet of MDF). As such, I cannot place the center speaker in my 5.1 system BEHIND the screen...though that location is the "ideal" as I understand it. So, I wonder what would happen if I bought two smaller speakers and put one directly above the screen (at the center) and one directly below the screen (also at the center). I assume that I could then just splice them both onto the same front center channel output from my amp/receiver and that my brain would average their locations to produce a sound that seems to be emanating from the middle of the screen. Yes? No? Seems like it should work... Anyone ever tried something like this? What am I missing? Can I just split the cable and run them both in parallel?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Big issues aside(and Yamaha, amongst a couple speaker manufacturers tried "dual center"...un-successfully)...
If you did that, you don't want to run it any other way than through an impedance matching speaker switch, just wire up one side...
http://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Selector-Impedance-Matching-Output/dp/B002I9XKTE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354777173&sr=1-1&keywords=impedance+matching+speaker+selector (and yes I know this is for 4 pairs. I thought, a while back, there was a 2 pair with impedance matching...but not showing)

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I wouldn't do it.

A vast majority of HTs place a single center just above or just below the screen - aimed slightly up or down to the listener. Placing the speaker close to the screen edge won't produce any "weird" imaging effects.

IMO, trying to Frankenstein a solution like you describe is going to cause more headaches and cost way too much for what you'd wind up with.

techtheater

Auditioning
Real Name
WF
Ok...i guess i will have to re-think things a bit. I was really trying to get the center channel sound to come "from" the screen...but it sounds like below is my only option. Thanks.
P.S. I will continue to monitor this post for the next 6 months or so...if anyone else has any ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks