What's new

Splinter Cell To Gamecube in Less than 2 Weeks! (1 Viewer)

DavidBelis

Agent
Originally, this game was set to be released on PS2 at the very end of March, and on GCN not until May.

Well, it's just been cofirmed that it's being released a month and a half early on Gamecube (April 8th, which is 13 days away).

From what I've heard, it's pretty much a carbon copy of the Xbox version (graphics as good as the Xbox version, as opposed to the PS2 version), plus, it has a better framerate and quicker loadtimes than either of the other two versions.

I'll be busy with Zelda for a while, though (I should be getting it within the next 1 or 1 days), and once I can get a bit more money together, it'll definitely be my next purchase.

This is good news for Gamecube owners.

Here's a link, btw.
http://cube.ign.com/articles/390/390993p1.html

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
I find it hard to believe that the Gamecube version will be as good as the XBox version.

1: there's a heck of al ot less space on each disk to put the information on so that means sacrificing the little things in gameplay or just graphics in general a bit.

2: controlling for it will be a bit more difficult with the GCN controller.

That is just my skepticism. I'd love to be proven wrong!

Loved the game for XBox. Also would love to see it do as well on the Gamecube, though!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I wouldn't buy it being better than Xbox either, that sounds like spin to me. But, SC is a great game no matter what platform it is on, enjoy it on the GC!

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
: there's a heck of a lot less space on each disk to put the information on so that means sacrificing the little things in gameplay or just graphics in general a bit.
I'd discount this as a problem; doesn't the PC release fit on a CD or two? Thats less than the space of a single GC disc, and its hardly unknown for people to spread things across multiple discs.

The only concern I'd have is that its graphic quality will probably be closer to the PS2 than the XBox purely due to the fact that most of the fancy effects stuff is done with NVidia pixel shaders, which they don't seem to have done much work on porting to full effect.

I'm not expecting massive sales because, like so many GC ports, its coming out later than on the other platforms and so I'd expect those with the option of multiple platforms will already own it.

Dave.A.C

Agent
Seeing what UBI did with SC on the PS2, I would guess that SC on the GC will look pretty damn close to SC on the Xbox. In the video IGN has it looks like some of the real-time lighting is scaled back, but for some reson I thought the textures looked better than Xbox. In any regard, the video looks pretty damn good.

Doug:Li

Stunt Coordinator
I am anxious to get this game. I only have a gamecube for now, and I think it looks pretty cool!

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Heh, I'm very very interested actually Dave, and I do appreciate the heads up. I would've posted, but with my petty cash at absolute zero I am not gonna be able to get this for some time. And I want to pick up Skies of Arcadia first.

When you have a girlfriend, phone bills, no job, and are supporting a habit for DVDs, video games, computer games, AND board games, some stuff just has to make that chop ;).

Eventually though, I do intend to snag it.

DavidBelis

Agent
I wouldn't worry about space.

Good developers are able to compress games in unimagineable.

Some companies, like Capcom, are too lazy, so they released Resident Evil 1 and RE0 on 2 discs each, but then, some developers, like Factor 5 are siomply amazing.

Did you know that all of Rogue Leader is little more than 200 megs? That's it.

I'm not sure how well Splinter Cell is compressed, but either way I wouldn't worry about it at all. From what I've heard, graphically, it's just as good as the Xbox version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks