Splinter Cell Help, please.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee L, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I need a little help. I am in the lobby of the Chinese Embassy where you have to shimmy across the pole to the other side of the upper level of the lobby, drop down and grab a guy to get him to use the retinal scanner. I cannot drop down and get him without getting shot. Heck, half the time, after shooting out all the lights in the whole place, the guy somehow sees me and shoots me. I have tried many ways of doing it, hitting the Y button and then B but I can never drop quietly enough to evade detection.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

2. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Well, I will go play this level & see what I find. [​IMG]

I'll report back this afternoon. [​IMG]

3. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

I don't remember exactly, but if you pull your legs up and then drop from that position, doesn't Sam land quietly automatically? Like walking off a ledge while ducking.

IIRC, all I did was wait till the guy left and snuck in while the door was still open. My friend playing his own game waited till the door closed and the guy moved away, then hit him with an airfoil so that he was stunned (not knocked out) and then went behind him and grabbed him. I thought it was cheap, but it worked [​IMG]

You could also try distracting him to make him move away temporarily so you can drop down. Back up a bit and do a hanging-shot to shoot out a light away from the guy, and he should investigate.

4. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I had a problem with this too, but found the solution:

The guy who you use for the retinal scan doesn't stand there where you drop- he moves back and forth along the hallway. First shoot out the lights by the flags (spotlights to be exact) and wait for him to be at the other end of the hall. Drop down into the dark corner (quietly) and wait for him. I even followed him along the hall into the dark until I had a clean "shot" at grabbing him.

I hope this helps. This game is one of my all time favs!

5. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

I worked on it some last night before I read these threads and I eventually got through. I am going back to try to do it with a little more health. I actually lucked out trying to grab the guy, we started running in circles and he started shooting me and then I accidentally hit the A button when the use retinal scanner dialog came up and I thought it was grab character. He did not shoot while I used the scanner and when I was done I was able to run up and grab him. Weird how things work in this game sometimes. My wife also thought of using the airfoil to stun the guy and I think I will try that.

I have shot out all the lights and the only time the guy ever walks back and forth is when he is alerted and I have found it pretty much impossible to get the drop on him in alert status, even in the utter darkness.

Thanks for the help.

6. Ricky Hustle

Ricky Hustle Supporting Actor

Drop, and on the way down, quickly hit 'B', if that is the correct crouch button. (I finished the game awhile ago, can't remember for sure) When you land, Sam will assume a crouching position, and not make a sound. Then you can easily grab the dude and be on your way.

7. Matthew Furtek

Matthew Furtek Stunt Coordinator

Lee. I just got past this part a couple days ago... here is how I did it. I'm assuming you've already cleared the room of all the baddies.

Make sure you shoot out.... the main light in the middle, all 3 lights above where he comes from, and the 4 spotlights, plus the light above where the mounted machine gun is (where you climb on the pipe).

Now, go climb on the pipe and trigger him. Sometimes he will notice the lights are out and go investigate before he lets his buddy into the door (this won't help you); sometimes he'll go after (this will help you).

Now, when / if he goes and investigates make sure you jump down from the pipe and hide in the corner near the other machine gun (the one by the retinal scanner). If you hide in the corner by him, he will see you because he walks close to it.

Because it was so sporadic, here is how I found out I could get past him. Option 1, was to trigger him, watch him let his friend in, and climb back down off the pipe. Then I crouched and shot out one of the lights right below where he was. He will go investigate and you will have the oppurtunity to climb onto the pipe and get across.

Option 2, was to trigger him, and return (make sure it is dark on that side so you can get down without him noticing). Then, when he was standing there I shot near him, and moved a little. He would fire at me, but not knowing where I was he would stop and go looking. Then I jumped onto the pipe, went across jumped down (he didn't hear me because he was so far away) and hid in the opposite corner. Just make sure when he walks back you are not in his path so he will stumble across you.

Once you are safely on the other side it is pretty easy to sneak around him, just be careful.

Neither myself nor my roomates could jump down silently (we were playing on Normal); whether we hopped onto the pipe while holding 'b' or jumped down and hit 'b'. Both of them got lucky and some how he didn't hear them when they jumped down, but I had to come up with this intrinsic "get the guy to leave his post" plan... hehe

This is a really fun game for me to be playing through.

Matthew Furtek

8. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

If I recall you don't need to shoot out the lights to accomplish this, it's just more fun to do it that way. [​IMG] The key is to hang back say no further than midway on the poll until after the guard has assumed his, er, guard position. Then slowly move down the pipe (shimmy with legs up) and drop softly as indicated above. If you move too far to soon or too quickly you'll alert the guard so be patient. That's a bitch of a checkpoint section to have to over again, but it's also a lot of fun. When you clear that next room and hop out the window you'll get your next checkpoint.

An entertaining thing you can do is playing with the auto turrets. After distracting the guard to leave his post when first entering that large hall quickly scurry around the door behind the turret (of course you need to make sure it's pointing away first). Access the controls and turn off friendly fire. The turret will then pick off the guard plus the other who eventually comes down the stairs to your left. Likewise when you hop up to the floor above do the same with that turret and take out the two guards who come around the corner. Don't even worry about the third turret on the other side. What is pretty cool is that final turret is the one you hear whirring away from the other side of the storage room when you first got into the embassy.

9. Lee L

Lee L Supporting Actor

Thanks for the help. I finally did it the right way, not losing any health. I ended up shooting out all the lights just like I did before then hanging way back behind the flags until the colonel lets the guard in with the scanner. When I moved closer along the pole and the colonel went to look downstairs I did as suggested and went to the corner with the turret gun and stood there. When he went by I hit him with a ring airfoil and was able to get right up to him and grab him no problem.

BTW, anyone lese notice that on the turret controls the description for disabling the IFF is wrong. It reads Disable IFF, but if you click the radio button, it enables IFF. The description for turning the turret off is correct though.

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Re: the IFF thing, yeah I've noticed that. I think the developers are trying to throw a fast one on ya.. walk out in front of the turret and Whammo!

Jay

11. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I haven't played SC in a bit, finished it on Hard long time ago, but the "disable IFF" is selected by default yet it doesn't shoot the enemy until you click on it and the black circle becomes a white circle. A black circle, at least to me, means it's selected yet IFF is on when the circle is dark yet it's labelled "Disable IFF". It really should either be labelled "IFF Enabled" or the circle should default to being white (off) instead of black (on)

If they used black to signify off, then the turrent control is switched...

Jay

13. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

14. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit