Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jay Mitchosky, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Surprised there are no active threads on this yet with release this week. Played the demo on the OXM game disc and it's a pretty amazing technical achievement. Have to get my arse in gear and finish Pandora Tomorrow! :b I was geared up to buy the Limited Edition with the extras DVD but it seems to be late on release.

2. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Played the first two missions last night (Level one: Lighthouse; Level two: cargo ship) and was blown away. Very, very impressed!

3. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I saw this game staring at me in Wal-mart the passed few days Ive gone in, but I cant bring myself to buy it yet. Too much school, homework and other things sucking my time away these days. I'll have to wait untill summer to get it.[​IMG] I want to play this one so bad too.

4. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I ordered the PC version, which confused me when I opened it because I thought I had bought the X-Box version. I'm glad I didn't, because the PC version looks abso-friggin-tastically beautiful. I turned on all of the goodies (including PS3.0) and I haven't even finished the first level because I want to stare at everything [​IMG].

5. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Is this game really that much better than the original and Pandora Tomorrow? Any of the reviews that I've seen make it seem like the game is way too easy.

I really liked the original Splinter Cell, but found that I actually got a little bored with Pandora Tomorrow. Is there really that much more to Chaos Theory?

6. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Rented it, played it, and maybe I'm just in a rut, but all I can think is 'Meh. It's Splinter Cell 3.' I mean, it's a nice little evolutionary sequal, but....meh.

Of course, I'm only playing the single player (no broadband) so maybe I'm missing out on the whole point.

7. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I can appreciate that sentiment. I'm less jazzed about Splinter Cell now compared to the first as it's not as fresh to me. And it's certainly a gameplay style you need to be in the mood for. But I still enjoy it a great deal. For the multiplayer I'm one of probably three people who own PT but never played live. With Chaos I'm more likely to go online with the co-op play which looks really compelling.

8. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

What does the limited edition have on it?

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Same case style as Halo 2. Includes a second disc (DVD format) with G4 behind-the-scenes (not as good as the one for Halo 2), concept art, developer diary, clips from soundtrack (haven't listened to yet), and a few other things. Frankly there's not that much added value here. Packaging is very sweet and some forgettable extras. Since you're not itching to buy right now hold back and buy the standard version when the price dumps. Hell, you should be able to do the same for the L.E. as well (there are still copies of Halo 2 L.E. sitting in the stores).

10. Matthew R

Matthew R Agent

Wow, either no one is playing Chaos Theory, or no one is talking about it... I guess that fits the theme of the game, though.

I'm enjoying the game, even if overall it does have a bit of a "more of the same" feel...

Does anyone know how to switch the SC-20K from automatic fire to semi-auto? I can't find the answer in the manual or online-- hopefully that doesn't mean they've done away with the semi-auto mode.

By the way, I just finished the Splinter Cell novel. What a waste of time. I'm glad it was relatively cheap.

--Matthew

11. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    What an amazing game this is. I have it on the PC. I've always been a huge fan of this game series, even though I'm TERRIBLE at these games.

I feel like the previous games, especially part one, were a little too difficult in some areas. This game, however, really felt like it had the perfect balance of healthy challenge.

Having that knife for this game had me feeling like: "How did I ever make it through the last two games without it?"

I think it's the best of the stealth games right now. Part 4 has already been announced for next year, which is good news as far as I'm concerned. As I understand it, there's two teams working on these games.

The first team created part one and this game and the second team created Pandora Tomorrow and will be responsible for part 4 next year.

Chaos Theory is a Game of the Year Candidate, imho, at least in its genre. Awesome! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    Love the game, but it is almost too easy. The first two you had check points where you could save the game. Now you can do it whenever you want, as often as you want.

Good in some ways, but it takes away from the challenge when you can kill/knock out one guy, save, sneak past another guard, save, access the computer, save, so on and so forth.

Incredible graphics. Much better interface with regards to changing weapons/secondary weapons.

Anybody know how many levels there are? I just started the first one in Japan, which I believe is #5.