Splicing Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Mansure, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

I understand that it's not ideal to do this but what connectors would be best for extending 12gauge speaker wire?

Basically I am relocating my audio rack and one lousy speaker wire just doesn't reach.

I was thinking barrel type connectors and then electrical tape or heat shrink to cover the splice.

Any ideas, suggestions or instructions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

that'd work although myself i'd have staggered two cuts, spliced, soldered, and then shrink wrapped (put the tube on before you solder [​IMG]). course you could just buy some 12 gauge down at the Depot.

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

Thanks Chu.

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I doubt a break in the line would give you any audio problems. But there is oxidization issues.

Make sure to leave a few inches of slack and plan on cutting and re-splicing every few years (unless you do the Shrink Wrap trick.)

5. Greg Kolinski

Greg Kolinski Second Unit

After close to 20 years in the automotive field,I have learned that the 'true right way' is solder and heat shrink.I have fought many electrical issues due to poor butt crimp connectors.Just my opinion,some may disagree