What's new

Splice Review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Not nearly as goofy as I thought it'd be. I caught an afternoon screening. Um, there are some pretty good horror moments, and I admit, maybe I'm a wuss, but there was a moment near the middle that really, really weirded me out. I don't know if I'd say that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it will definitely stick in my memory (if you see this film, you will have NO problems figuring out what I'm talking about)

Dren, the combo girl/stinging bee/predator thing is one creepy, hot enemy, that isn't so much an enemy as a natural predator.

The weirdness that begins in the middle is creepy, disturbing, and I'm not sure if well realized but you will definitely remember it.

This is not a "GREAT" film, but compared to warmed over recreations of other 80s horror films, it's definitely a cut above.

If you're looking for an interesting horror flick, this is better then anything I've seen this year in that category.

B.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I agree; I thought this was thoughtful and well-acted. And even though its made up of elements from other stories, it's nice to have a wide-release horror movie that's not a direct remake of another.

It should also be noted that the director is Vincenzo Natali, who directed the original Cube, a film I've always liked.

patrickdavid

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick David
Thanks Matt, helpful. From the previews it looks interesting, kind of has an interesting story line. But it also looks like it could have been the next "Cube" or something, haha! May have to check this one out!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I enjoyed it. I have seen a lot of hate for it on other boards but I thought it was effective thriller old school horror/monster movie.

People going in expecting an Alien type thing is not going to get it.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
My initial reaction from the trailer was, "I have a feeling this was better when it was called Species"" Without posting spoilers, can you tell me if I'm totally off-base? I'm not a big horror fan (and especially not a big gross-out horror fan), but I might take a chance with a Blu Ray rental for this if it is more than a rip-off of an earlier film.

Regards,

Joe

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I would say you're totally off-base (although some minor elements are reminiscent of Species). Splice has more in common with Cronenberg's early horror films.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben
Splice has more in common with Cronenberg's early horror films.

Yeah, if there's a comparison to be made with other movies, it's with Cronenberg's 'body horror' movies (like Shivers, Rabid or The Brood) more than anything else.

In the box office thread, there was talk that 20th Century Fox was concerned that a creature growing in a vat was too similar to Avatar which is just hilarious.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by TravisR

Yeah, if there's a comparison to be made with other movies, it's with Cronenberg's 'body horror' movies (like Shivers, Rabid or The Brood) more than anything else.

Also The Fly. Like Splice, it involves an experiment with unforeseen consequences, as well as a couple whose relationship issues have a major impact on the experiment.

The drug company is reminiscent of the one in Scanners, and there's a sequence that echoes that film as well (I'm trying to avoid spoilers).

One of the reasons why The Fly is among Cronenberg's best-regarded films is the love story between Seth and Ronnie. Cronenberg had two really good actors (Geena Davis and Jeff Goldblum), who gave those characters depth and complexity. Splice has a similar advantage with Sarah Polley and Adrien Brody. Polley in particular gives her character all sorts of layers that keep the film interesting.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
What it is is a film so wildly different from what's out there that even with tons of mods commenting, it can't get a review and discussion thread ;) :) :) :)

That having been said, it really doesn't have a lot of similarities with "Species". There are some concepts the same, but this is a WAY better movie.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Screened Splice this afternoon and I have to say that it was mostly a letdown. Based on comments and reviews I was hoping for something more original and less predictable than what I saw on the screen. It was a nice little film but hardly the edgy freshness I was expecting. Perhaps my expectations were a bit unrealistic.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Overall, it was a bit of a stretch, but also one that kept me on my toes as I didn't quite know where the film was going to go.

Clive (Adrien Brody) and Elsa (Sarah Polley) are genetic researchers trying to create life in the lab, and end up with "Dren" a really odd-looking creature that Elsa pushes to create with one of her experiments.

The film goes to some places that end up unintentionally funny, but nonetheless give us a horrifying laugh or two while also exploring the ramifications of scientists playing god.
If you're in the mood for sci-fi/horror film that is reminiscent of "The Fly", but not as tightly wound, then "Splice" might fit the matinee bill.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks