splenda vs stevia

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Micah Cohen, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

No, we're not talking about wrestling. We're talking about sweeteners.

My attractive laboratory assistant is obsessed with body image, fats and carbs and whatnot. This is a good thing in that it keeps her "attractive" of course (while I slop in the pasta and sit on the couch watching movies). But she ends up drinking her daily coffee with at least ten packs of Splenda-type sweetener per day. I think she does two pink packs to three yellow packs per tall mug of coffee. This can not be a good thing, can it? What is this stuff anyway, REALLY? Is Splenda "made from sugar"? Is it safe to consume this stuff?

What about "stevia"? Is this better? Is there a way to find Stevia that is not "bitter," as people claim?

Finally, if Stevia is natural and better, how do I convince her to stop with the bad sweeteners and start with the good sweetener, without being unsweet myself?

How sweet.

MC

(Whoop! I forgot about my apropo signature. [​IMG] )

2. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

There is evidence that Sucralose can cause cancer. "Sucralose was weakly mutagenic in a mouse lymphoma mutation assay" (from Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration, 21 CFR Part 172, Docket No. 87F-0086 http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/fr980403.html

Concerns have also been raised about the effect of sucralose on the thymus gland, a gland that is important to the immune system. A report from NICNAS cites two studies on rats, both of which found "a significant decrease in mean thymus weight" at a certain dose.
    http://www.nicnas.gov.au/publication...FR/NA944FR.pdf

http://www.truthaboutsplenda.com/

3. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

OK, that's fricking scary.

So, who's this "Stevia" chap?

MC

4. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Michael is just copy & pasting the negative parts of the Splenda Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucralose

Read it yourself and see all the positives vs. the negatives. What's scary is that thetruthaboutsplenda.com was created by the sugar companies to decrease sales of Splenda.

5. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

First we need pictures of the assistant to help you....... ;-)

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> There is evidence that Sucralose can cause cancer.

There's evidence that everything causes cancer. As with most such "evidence", you'd have to consume so much of the product to have a statistical chance of getting cancer that it's not worth worrying about.

A difference between the two is that Stevia is directly from a plant, not a human engineered product.

I don't like the taste of Splenda, at least not in the diet coke I've had.

7. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

This is what Splenda says about itself: http://www.splenda.com/page.jhtml?id...calorie.inc#q6

>>The safety of sucralose is well documented in more than 100 scientific studies conducted over a 20-year period. In addition, sucralose and, specifically, the safety data on sucralose, has been reviewed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and other national regulatory agencies, as well as by international health authorities such as the World Health Organization, and found to be safe for use by all consumers, including children, pregnant women and people with diabetes.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Exactly! My friend (a health nut) is always giving me crap for using Splenda because she says it's bad for me, so I always respond with "Well, sugar is ALSO bad for me!!" [​IMG]

Seriously, I used to use 6 scoops of sugar in my Dunkin Donuts (large) coffee, but now that I'm on Splenda, it's so sweet that I only use one packet. So is Splenda worse than sugar? Well, at a 6 sugar to 1 Splenda ratio, I think I'm better off taking my chances with Splenda then the 'insulin shock' I used to get with those 6 sugars.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

MSNBC - Are sugar substitutes bad for you?

As far as I know, there has never been proof that any sugar substitute is harmful to human beings. Just because rats and mice are affected isn't 100% proof that humans will be as well.

10. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I was talking with an aquaintance about Stevia. She said it is very good if you use small amounts. The thing is, there is a line where it goes from sweet to bitter very quickly. So from what I gather the trick is to experiment with amounts until it's sweet enough for you but not enough to get bitter.

11. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

I say keep buying Splenda by the truckloads so my stock goes up...... [​IMG]

12. MarkHastings

It's funny, I was going to say that Stevia sounds so much like a prescription drug - and then I found this from it's official site:LOL

Man 1: Damn, my migraines are Killing me!
    Man 2: Have you tried the new Stevia?

Man 1: ACHOOOOO! My allergies are going crazy today!
    Man 2: Stevia will help clear those mucus filled cavities.

Man 1: What about my erectile disfunctions?
    Man 2: Again, try some Stevia!

[​IMG]

Stevia is a nonaddictive sweetener...do not take if you are a wuss or freak out over the accusations that this product is harmful. Do not use if you are dead.

13. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

None of you are really helping me, you know? [​IMG]

MC

14. MarkHastings

I'll send you an email and explain it all to ya. [​IMG]

15. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

This thread is useless without pics of the hot lab assistant!

~T

16. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

preferably in her lab coat, glasses and nothing else.

17. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Yeah Micah..throw us a "bone" here will ya?.......ok..that was campy..sorry...

18. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Most of the bad press about splenda I'm familiar with are bad allergic reactions to it, but that hardly applies to everyone. AS to weight loss I seem to remember reading that use of sugar substitutes affects how your body metabolizes energy, making it more likely to store energy as fat as well as stimulating your appetite causing you to eat more. I don't think stevia causes either of those effects, but the sugar and artificial sweetener industries in america have been very effective at keeping stevia off the market as a sugar substitute. But using sugar itself is probably worse than the drawbacks of sugar substitutes. I try to minimize my sugar intake to only whole fruits, dairy and the occasional dollap of honey, and I'm about 90% successful at that, this week was bad because some villain brought some very delicious cookies into the office. there is only one food I have zero resistence too, and that is cookies. I probably ate more sugar on friday than I'd eaten in the last three weeks combined.

As for coffee, I drink it unsweetened with about 1-2 tablespoons of half and half in 12 ozs, the fat digests slowly and keeps the caffeine from making me twitchy.

Adam

19. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    John A- Dont worry, we buy it by the 1k pack box size @ Sam's...

20. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Many years ago I read about L-sugar. The idea is that there is a mirror image of the sugar molecule. R-sugar is what we eat now. The mirror image was said to taste exactly the same but the body would not recognize it and it would pass through as does Spenda.

Apparently L-sugar research went nowhere, as I can't even find it by searching.