What's new

Splash 20th Anniversary DVD (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
In the Ron Howard teleconference call for the Beautiful Mind DVD he just let it slip that Disney is doing a 20th Anniversary edition of Splash next year that will include commentay by Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, Tom Hanks, Daryl Hannah, and more.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The following material was certificated by the BBFC earlier this week:

00:03:29:00 | INTRO TO COMMENTARY
00:00:16:20 | CLOSING TO COMMENTARY
00:01:37:22 | INTRO TO AUDITION TAPES
00:24:05:08 | MAKING A SPLASH - BONUS MATERIAL
00:23:54:02 | AUDITION REEL
01:45:15:01 | DVD BONUS MATERIAL - AUDIO COMMENTARY

Jonathan_

Second Unit
Do you think that Disney will keep the original cover? I ask because the Trade Towers are featured prominently on it.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Exactly my thoughts, Colin. From the title of this thread, I thought this was rather premature. :)

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
But the film's 20th anniversary won't be until 2004...
Grease turns 25 in 2003 but its getting released this September.

Trading Places turns 20 next year and again, it looks like it will be out this year.

Premature maybe but at least its not late.

And hey...

Caddyshack had a 19th Anniversary DVD due to the significance of the 19th hole in golf.

Young Frankenstein celebrated 25 and half years.

Joel C

Screenwriter
"Yargh, Mr. Howard. I loved your movie Splash! It was very... yargh!"
-The Sea Captain

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
whoa! Awesome! This just made my day!
I hope the commentary will be recorded by the participants together in the same room, and won't be a spliced-together junket-food CRAPFEST (after all, edited commentaries simply don't work if it's A) a cast commentary or B) a commentary for a comedy). Can anyone say 'disc 2 video commentary'??? I sure hope so!

btw- let's hope they aren't seriously going to wait until 2004!

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The commentary track is by (director) Ron Howard, (producer) Brian Grazer and (writers) Lowell Ganz and Bubaloo Mandel. They were recorded together.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Grease turns 25 in 2003 but its getting released this September.

Trading Places turns 20 next year and again, it looks like it will be out this year.
But will Paramount call those anniversary releases? Maybe - I've not paid that much attention - but unless they call "Grease" the 25th anniversary edition and "TP" the 20th anniversary edition, then the comparisons don't work...

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Interesting, I just recently watched the non-anamorphic original release the other day. I had ordered it from Columbia House probably a year ago for an ex girlfriend, and after we broke up, I had no desire to watch it to until this week. I commented to myself at how bad the compression was on that movie. Some of the underwater scenes were nothing but compression artifacts. I will gladly replace this disc with a new version. If it takes til 2004 though, I can wait. Theres plenty of other releases between now and then I will be getting.

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator
Any more news on this? I would like this movie but I am not going to pay $80+ those amazon gougers are charging :angry:
Cheers.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
John Candy was so good in this one, too. I've got to get this; I keep thinking back to his "Sweedish explanation" (for why he came to New York). Classic stuff. And Hannah never looked better.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Josh, it was recently released in R2 with the Ron Howard (and other crew) commentary. No Hanks/Hannah commentary or any other significant special features on that one, though.
No idea when it's coming to the US.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Tony, it's still in-the-works, with no announce date or release date.
The original release was UPC Code #717951001610. Yet Disney lists in their password-protected press system a "Splash - DVD Collector's Edition" with UPC Code #786936207972. It has no date (other than a long-past intended prebook date of last April, which we can safely disregard by now since no street date is listed). It lists no price, nor disc count, nor guide to supplements or specs. Just the fact of its (intended, future) existance.
Things get cancelled and delayed all the time, and this is obviously victim to one or the other. If you want it, then call 800-72-DISNEY and - without mentioning the HTF or me or foreknowledge that anything is supposed to be in-the-works - ask them if they can sell you "Splash" on DVD and tell them how you can't find it anywhere and let them know you would love a nice special edition of it. That kind of consumer feedback from enough people will get it off the back burner better than anything else. :)

Josh L

Stunt Coordinator
So I am guessing there haven't been any new developments on the Splash SE front..eh?
I see the OOP version is now up to $249.99 on Amazon.... :angry:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks