What's new

SPL Mod. Panasonic mic upgrade-who wants in...... (1 Viewer)

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
There are a few guys who want to do this but the min. order with Digikey is $25. The more we get in the cheaper it will be. Unless............
Some nice person here has a spare WM-61A they would sell me :D

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in. I was thinking of doing this over the holidays, but I was just too busy. Are you ordering just the mic element?

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Chris, can you explain why you would want to do this mod? Is it to an SPL meter? I'm confused (not an uncommon thing).

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Hi Jay,
The stock analog RS SPL meter rolls off the bass somewhere around 35Hz and rolls off the treble at 10kHz. This modification makes the electronics flat over the entire audible range for the "C" setting of the A/C switch. After performing this modification, direct meter readings should be accurate for SPL measurements down to 20Hz as well as up to 20kHz.

JayDaniel

Stunt Coordinator
Chris - I'm intersted in this mod since I own a Rad. Shack meter. How difficult is the mod, and what is the procedure?

Thanks.

RobertCharlotte

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Ben.

I'll be the first to say that the procedure looks a little beyond my comfort zone, so I guess I'm out.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Ben, Jay, or anybody else who wan't one LMK. I have some on order. Send me $4-$4.75 (depending where you live) to cover padded envelopes & shipping & I'll send you one. They will be the WM-61A. (unless you really want the WM-60A)
Pete Mazz - IOU, LMK if you want a WM-61A. This ones on me :)

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Thanks Chris, but I've got a calibrated mic already.

And I haven't forgotten the cal file for you. I started working on it the other day again. I've got some ideas to try first, and then get the equipment set up.

Pete

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Say chris Im in too as I have a Rat Shack spl meter also, btw you still coming to the Great State this weekend?;)

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Chris, thanks but no thanks. Believe it or not,I just did the mod last week! I ordered a bunch of other stuff from DigiKey. I also made a jig for Speaker Workshop. What a neat piece of software.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Mark,
You were going to get a free one no matter what :D. Hell, I was looking forward to a comparison between it and your Clio mic. I guess I need to send you 2 now. Yes, I'll be in the Great State by 4pm. BTW, YGM...........
Pete, thanks again man. No rush though. I still don't know how to use my stuff properly yet :)
Good deal Ben. SW is a great program!!!

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

Do you use SW? If so, do you seem to get repeatable numbers?? I just starting using it and it seems to be OK in the repeatability/reproducibility area. Your thoughts....

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
I played with SW for the XO capabilities only. I didn't even realize it could do measurements. I take it that's what you were referring to (measurements - repeatability/reproducibility) so I can't accuratly comment on that aspect. I heard it was pretty good though. For what it cost's it's the best thing going!!! I JTBS pulled the trigger on LspCAD. Once I get that up & running 100% I just might for the hell of it learn how to use SW for measuring then compare the two. I'll do the same for the XO side as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks