SPL meter

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomH, Oct 21, 2001.

1. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I know this has been covered before but..
    Radio Shack still has the analog SPL meter for $39.99. The digital one is $20.00 more.
    Which is the best choice and why?
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Howard Christian

I think most ppl are recommending the analog meter
    don't see what you can benefit from a digital one
    unless it goes higher than 126db like what the analog has
    I tried the analog SPL meter in my car and it hit the maximum 126bd and went over in fact
    Not of much use except for calibrating HT i guess

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i have the analog one. most prefer it over the digital because it's easier to follow and see and you don't have to remember the numbers on the digital display. it's easier to track sound with a bar across a graph than with straight numbers. hope that explains it.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

4. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    I went with the analogue because it's cheaper and easier to read.

5. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

The analog one is my recommendation. It is cheaper, easily resolves a fraction of a dB, and allows you to do something impossible with the digital version. Either one will let you read fairly static levels, but only the analog one lets you follow rapid in/out of phase changes with the needle. By using the speaker phase tests in AVIA along with the fast setting on the analog meter, you can find the exact point of phasing within a fraction of an inch. That's done by finding the position left/right that makes the greatest difference in needle deflection up during the in-phase signal and down during the out-ouf phase speaker signal. By placing the analog SPL at your seating position and moving your speakers slightly forward/backward, you can bring your speaker into ultra sharp phase alignment at your seating position. You can do it for left/right and left/center. Once that is done all three front speakers are in maximal phase coherence. It's more accurate than stretching a string to make the distance equal. The digital meter doesn't allow you to do that maneuver.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Analog, for all the reasons above.
    And, I used to have a digital one, and switched. Analog one has better resolution for sub 1.0 dB changes.
    ------------------