SPL meter question.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by David Preston, Aug 17, 2003.

1. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

I got a few good gifts for my birthday. I got a Digital SPL meter,Avia disc,Wall mounts for surrounds, and a couple DVDs, a little $$, and a stud finder. I told my wife I wanted a SPL meter for my birthday so she got me one. I didn't think she would get the more expensive one but she did. I got the digital one. Should I return it for the analog meter. I heard it is a little more useful. Thanks

2. DavidES

DavidES Stunt Coordinator

The digital rounds up/down the readout on 1-2dB differences whereas on the analog you get to see 1dB or less changes. Therefore the digital can be a little inaccurate for level balancing. Average hearing can detect 1dB level changes.

Your decision depends on how much accuracy you want and if your wife goes into the "What? It's not good enough?" or "Whatever" or "It's just a MAN thing" modes of operation often. If she does go into those modes, just tell her "I got some money back because the analog is cheaper and I got you a couple of roses."

Don't forget the RS receipt.

Sounds like your wife is a good one-of-a-kind.

Later

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

On the other hand, the digital SPL meter is easier to read than the analog one (at least for me). Unless money is tight, I’d keep the digital one as an acknowledgement of her buying the best.

I’d do everything I could to encourage this behavior. [​IMG]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I’ve used both and I too prefer the digital (although Lew and I may have a minority opinion on this). A feature I like is the time-lapse function – very useful when calibrating subs.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Thanks guys I think I'll just keep it and live with it. If I have any problems learning it I know where to go for help. HTF is the best.