SPL meter help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ericLee, Nov 26, 2002.

1. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

Where can I find an spl meter in local stores not online. I went to radioshack today and they said they don't have them. I also went to a hardware store and they didn't have one either. Where has eveyone been able to find spl meters?

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

????? Radio shack definitely sells them. Ask them to order one for you, the analog one is like $39. It's their brand even, so maybe the guy working there just didnt know what he was talking about. Usually they even have them in their little display cases. Try radioshack again, and talk to a guy who knows what he's talking about. If all else fails, go to radioshack's website and get the model number, and take it to them. Strange though, that you go looking for something that a store carries, and they dont want to sell it to you....

3. Lorenzo K

Lorenzo K Agent

Go back to radio shack and ask someone who knows what he is doing. Same thing happened to me. I had to describe the item to the sales guy and he asked his manager if they had one. The sales person had no idea what it is and what its used for.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

The analog meter falls under catalog #: 33-2050. Or, at least that's what mine was a year ago when I purchased one.

5. DerekF

DerekF Stunt Coordinator

Same thing happened to me. The pinhead clerk I started talking to said they stopped selling them, then another clerk overheard, and mentioned that while the analog one is hard to find, they do sell the digital one. They had one in the back.

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I think "we stopped selling them" is the standard Radio Shack response if they haven't a clue. I had them say that to me a few times, along with "nobody was buying them" No clue.

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

8. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

General consensus is this meter reads about 2 dB low on the typical subwoofer / LFE test tone, so keep this in mind when you calibrate.

It reads progressively lower as you drop in frequency, up to about 5-6 dB off at 20 Hz, if memory serves me. If you end up plotting your system's low bass response curve using fraction-octave test tones as a first step to equalization using a BFD or similar instrument, there is an actual Rat Shack "correction factor" curve for this meter floating around the internet. Apply these values to your curves when equalizing to get the best results.

Regards,

Ed

9. ericLee

ericLee Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback. I've been to this radioshack many times before and I know that the guy i asked was the main manager, but he might have just said they don't have them to get me to stop bothering him. The store was full of boxes and everyone was restocking and stuff probably for after thanksgiving sales. There's another radioshack in my area but it's ina mall so they would have even less stuff then the first. I'll call them up and ask.

10. TerryHenson

TerryHenson Agent

Even if they don't stock it, tell them to order you one. It's their brand, so it's available one way or another.

Terry

11. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

The digital one has the code 33-2055 and if the guy didn't look at his computer he should of at least had the decency to try to order you one (they do this at the store near me all the time, otherwise I consider this a lack of courtesy). I recommend that maybe a call to their customer complaint center might be in order, after all I bet almost everyone at this forum (and many others) own one and if they say they don't sell them or dropped them due to lack of popularity they're obviously lying, there is no doubt in my mind that they have sold more of these than the crappy AVRs they have in stock.