SPL meter/ Digital or Analog?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Paul E, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Paul E

Paul E Auditioning

I need a n SPL meter from RS. They have a digital meters for $49. Said they don't carry analog any more. Is this what I want?[​IMG]

2. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

General consensus is that the analog meter is better... simply because you can see minor movement in the signal and better gage if the signal is moving up or down. And the analog meter is about $10-$15 cheaper. I would check to see if you can buy the analog meter through Radio Shack's website.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I have the digital meter and I never had difficulty seeing the "increments" [​IMG]

4. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

I, too, have the Digital unit. I would think that the analog would be a bit more precise when splitting hairs...but do not find it to be a problem when calibtaing my set ups.

5. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

I also have the digital, and it works great, it was the only available in Radio shack, any of the two will do.

6. BenSC

BenSC Stunt Coordinator

I never saw the analog one on their website, but in the store, it was sitting right next to the digital one for $15 cheaper.

7. Scott McVicker

I bought the analog, but then realized that I cannot control the individual db levels on my receiver. So for me, it didn't make any difference.

8. Paul E

Paul E Auditioning

Thanks all. I'll buy whatever they have at RS. Got my new 2003 Joe Kane calibration DVD yesterday in mail( BTW Amazon.com $18).

[​IMG]