SPL meter as mic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Vinson, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Steve Vinson

Steve Vinson Auditioning

I've looked at the links on the Sonotube page. The FAQ on equalizing with a BFD uses Acoustisot ETF. Another link allows a free trial of Spectra software. The corresponding link for Radio Shack SPL meter correction values is no longer active. Yet another link lists RS meter correction values. My question ... Are there significant differences in the software. I have been hearing about TrueRTA. How does it compare to Acoustisoft & Spectra? Can I use the RS meter with TrueRTA? How does the RS meter compare to a mic & preamp. And, one more, do the values listed for the RS meter work for the digital version also?

I would certainly like to go with a RS SPL meter (vs. a separate mic & preamp), at least intially. Building an IB sub and speakers is taxing my budget enough.

Thanks,
    Steve V.

2. Steve Vinson

Steve Vinson Auditioning

can someone point me in the right direction???

3. Ellen

Ellen Stunt Coordinator

Ellen
    If you want to know if you can use a RatShack SPL meter with TrueRTA, you might want to email the author of the program and ask him. You can get the address from the True Audio web site.

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

You can use the Rat Shak meter, but forget about realistic measurements above ~5 kHz. The lower freq corrections can be used successfully. A calibrated mic/pre-amp is a must for any serious work, IMO. There are some relatively inexpensive solutions out there. Try a search and it should turn up some info.

Pete

5. Steve Vinson

Steve Vinson Auditioning

Thanks! I've decided to pursue a different speaker package (i.e., cheaper), so that will free up some money for a dedicated mic & preamp. I would still like to get a RS SPL meter. I'm assuming the digital is best - especially if I will also have analyzing software.

6. Ben Ven

Ben Ven Stunt Coordinator

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Actually the RS SPL meter is a mic+preamp in a single package.

The RCA-out on the SPL meter is a LINE-OUT signal not a MIC signal.

I built the wallin DIY battery operated preamp and bought an assembled calibrated mic-wand about 2 years ago and use it together with ETF.

ETF is much more than just an RTA, it uses MLS signals to do things like Energy Time Curves, Impulse Response Graphs, Waterfall Frequency Time graphs, RT-60 analysis, etc.