Spirited Away trailer...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed Faver, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

...is up on the Apple site. It looks amazing. Best news, John Lassiter is the exec producer of the US version.

2. Terrell

Terrell Producer

Well, I've never liked anime, and I've argued with Jeff and Morgan about it, but I've got to give this trailer credit. The animation is beautiful. The frames of animation are still really low compared to most American animation, but it is a beautiful looking film. I'm willing to give it a chance.

3. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I was surprised to see a poster for Spirited Away at my local megaplex this weekend. Is Disney/Miramax actually going to give this a semi-wide release??

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I hope it comes to one of my local plexes. I'll even go to one of the bad ones if I have to.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Will the DVD have the original language track? I hope so, as the voice work for the English version is a bit bland. Still this looks like it could be one of the more visually impressive animated films I've seen recented.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, there will be a Japanese track on the US disc

Glad you're giving the film a chance Terrell

7. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

I think after the flak Buena Vista got when Princess Mononoke was first announced without the original language track has them convinced that the public wants the Japanese track.

8. Jeff Kleist

Ed, it has nothing to do with Disney, they could care less about OSL as they have proven time and again with their Hong Kong film releases. However, Tokuma Shoten, holder of the "do what we say or die horribly" contract knows that we want the J track, and are the reason why it's on Mononoke(because we addressed our complaints to them)

After viewing the trailer

1-The voice acting is horrible. John Lassetter should know better. Chihiro's voice is squeaky and annoying, her parents are mediocre and the voices are too prominent in the mix so it sounds like, you guessed it, a dub

2- It's CHEE-HEE-RO NOT SEE-HEE-RO! THERE IS NO ROOM FOR INTERPRETATION HERE! I DON'T CARE IF YOU WANTED TO EXPLAIN THE NAME CHANGE (The first character of Chihiro by itself is pronounced Sen), THAT'S WHAT ON SCREEN SUBTITLES ARE FOR!
    And the fact that she gets it out correctly once says to me she's going to prounounce her name 15 different ways

Also, as is typical the film is misrepresented as an action piece. Sigh. It is most definately not

Please seek out an OSL print of this film

9. Sean Laughter

Sean Laughter Screenwriter

What's so awful about the voice acting? I didn't find anything terrible about it, and since when is it wise to judge a final film's sound mix based on a trailer, much less a Quicktime trailer?

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor

11. Jeff Kleist

If you'd heard the original acting, you would know how bad it is in comparison.

12. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

I have seen the R3 DVD version - This is the most beautiful anime I have ever seen, both in terms of art/animation and story. No wonder it won the Golden Bear; this is the pinnacle of Japanese animation!

I'm not a terribly big fan of anime, but I cannot recommend this film enough.

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Definitely an appetite-whetting trailer. Is there any way to save trailers from the Quicktime site?

14. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

I tend to agree with Jeff here, having seen the R2 DVD the voice acting is a little suspect. Chihiro isn't too bad, it's Haku's voice that sounds awful - especially when he introduces himself as "Master Haku!". I'll be seeing a screening of this dub on Sept. 10th so then maybe I'll have a more accurate comparison to make but I shuddered in that scene where Haku meets Chihiro from the trailer. The animation and world detail is lovely though, so even if you aren't familiar with Miyazaki films you should try and see it when it's out.

15. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

Anything from Studio Ghibli is worth seeing and supporting.

If an OSL version comes to Atlanta I'll see it, but if not, I'll view the dub and grit my teeth.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Since Spirited Away is going to come out in America this year, could it be up for a Best Animated Film Oscar?

Imagine that: first year the Best Animated Film category is introduced, all the nominees are CGI films; second year, an anime wins it.

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Jehan, you'll be watching it at the El Capitan? It sold out before I knew about it.

~T

18. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

This is a really great movie. It was more absorbing for me than Mononoke (which I love), and also more humorous ... thus it may have serious word-of-mouth potential.

At the North American premiere they hinted that some theatrical showings in the Fall would be OSL.

My computer's not equipped to view movies from the quicktime site, so I have no comment on the dubs.

~Steve

19. Lowell_B

Lowell_B Second Unit

Man I hope an OSL showing comes to Massachusetts. That dub is pretty blah.

Aside from the dubbing the movie looks amazing, I loved Mononoke Hime too. I really, really hope they have some showings in Japanese with subs, if not I might just have to wait for the DVD.

Lowell

20. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Does anybody know anything about the release plans for Spirited Away?
    The Pricess Mononoke release was pitiful - it was on one screen in the Houston area (4th largest city in America) for 4 weeks. I count myself fortunate to have seen it - I know there were many parts of the country where it never played at all.
    At any rate, I'm hoping SA gets a wider release. Some OSL prints would be nice too...