What's new

Spirited Away is getting a wide release. (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I'm still not going to be able to see it on the big screen. Oh well, I'll just settle for the DVD release. HM's got a good batting average with me.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
We're getting it!!!!!!!!! We have two theaters in WF, and it is actually coming to one of them. I am impressed. I'm sure we'll only have it for a week, but at least it'll be here. I was fortunate enough to see it in Dallas last fall, but I will most likely be going to see it again tonight.

As a humorous side note (and to illustrate the fact that this probably won't do as well as we would hope), this morning during our early morning news show (I work at a TV station), we had the NBC weekend movie report. They covered Basic, The Core, and Head of State. During the report, I said, "She left out Spirited Away, probably the best movie we'll have playing this week." Although no one said much, I could sense a collective "Huh?" from everyone on headsets. Our AP looked mildly interested, so I explained that it had just won the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. "Disney said if it won the Oscar, they'd re-release it," I said. "It did, so they did." There was a silence, and finally the AP said, "Yeah, that Head of State looks hilarious."

Now our AP is not the most movie-savvy guy around (during the Core clips, he said, "You know, in a way, that kind of looks like Armageddon"), but I'm afraid his attitude is representative of a lot of people. But...with the new release and actual TV spots, maybe at least a few more people will get to see it. At least they'll have the chance.

I'm choosing to be optimistic though; I hope it does well. I'll certainly be there.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
I just noticed that Spirited Away is showing today at one of the local megaplexes near me: Brenden Vacaville 16. If it's playing there, many will see it. Another bump in screens (from say, 800 to 1600) would also have it opening at the local MALL multiplex which is crappy, BUT is always crowded with people (um, because it's in a mall).

If they're going to re-release it as they are, hopefully it will catch on and expand some more the next couple of weeks, and earn some serious money. This will insure a bigger release for more anime (although hopefully not CRAPPY anime). And of course I hope all of this hoopla won't delay the DVD much longer than a couple of months. I WANT MY DVD!! :)

-Dennis

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't expect this to expand much beyond the 800 currently released. It will probably just last 3-4 weeks and be gone again, so go see it.

Jason

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
It's playing in Winter Park for anyone in the Orlando area :)

It's playing at my favorite theatre too... yay! :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The worst thing about this is that Duhsney is not giving this movie a wide enough release for me to ever see it in a theatre, but just wide enough that the DVD release may be delayed by another couple of months.

I wish Disney would wise up regarding the way they promote Miyazaki's films. Honestly, their promotion job on his films are just pathetic. They are willing to go wide, and risk failure, with a $140,000,000 film like "Treasure Planet" but not be willing to put up the relatively few millions that "Spirited Away" would require. Even if "Spirited Away" turned out less than stellar box office-wise, they will still recoup that money, over time, in DVD sales and rentals. "Princess Mononoke" must have made money for them on DVD, otherwise they would not have spent the time or money, making the type of DVD releases that they have for Miyazaki's other films. Disney reminds of the place I used to work at. They will agonize over spending a nickel and then turn around and spend 50 bucks without a whimper.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Let's not forget that Treasure Planet is 140 million dollars of THEIR money! Spirited Away is a foreign film that they are distributing. That having been said, they are clueless as to the marketing potential that Spirited Away has. It could have EASILY made $100+ million here if it was given a wide release (2000+ screens) and marketed properly (oh wait, I meant marketed AT ALL) :angry:

-Dennis

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
otherwise they would not have spent the time or money, making the type of DVD releases that they have for Miyazaki's other films.
Not really, they're just copying the Asian discs. They didn't have to put any additional work into it whatsoever except for some reason they decided to redo the menus from the gorgeous watercolors

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
And like it or not, a considerable amount of time and effort went into creating the dubbed version for the U.S. release, so some effort was put in to be sure...

And the transfer is exactly the same as a previous transfer on an Asian disc? Not necessarily surprising, but interesting.

-Dennis

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can't see it. It STILL isn't coming to any theaters really close to me. We get no anime in the local theaters. I'd have to travel to Minneapolis to see it. :frowning:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Tony, one thing you have to understand is that this is the first time I've EVER seen REAL anime (non-Pokecrap stuff)in any kind of wide release (aka, outside of arthouses)

Spirited Away is easily playing in about 700 theaters more right now than Mononoke did during the height of it's run, and that was the previous biggest distribution.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I can't see it. It STILL isn't coming to any theaters really close to me.
Same here, Tony-B. I can't find it at any theaters within driving distance.

It did play locally at this past week's Green Mountain Film Festival, but not at a time when I could see it. And it was probably an original language print, too. :frowning:

Arman

Screenwriter
Just saw Spirited Away (A+). It is an amazing film! It is being re-released here starting yesterday in 5 theaters (2 in AMC, 2 in Regal & 1 in Cinemark). In comparison, The Pianist is being re-released in 3 theaters.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this film, and I came away unimpressed. The first 30 minutes were good, the next hour was a bit on the torturous side for me, and then the last 30 minutes were good. It didn't quite capture my attention and hold it for the entire film. Maybe a second viewing might help, but it'll be on DVD if that happens.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I saw it yesterday. On the whole it was enjoyable although I do think it dragged a bit in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks