Spirited Away Import dvd

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jesse Power, Feb 27, 2003.

1. Jesse Power

Jesse Power Auditioning

Has anyone purchased the Spirited Away Import?
    I got it thinking it was going to be a DTS ES soundtrack, & when I popped it in to my player, my receiver display showed 5.1 but it really is only 2.0. The dolby pro logic soundtrack sounded better. But the video on the other hand is an other story. The video transfer is breath taking! I watched it on a RCA 16x9 hdtv & the picture was right up there with monsters INC.
    Jesse

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

then you probably bought a bootleg

If it's Region 0(All) it's a boot

The soundtrack is hardly 2.0, it's just that the Japanese don't tend to use surrounds for "Whiz-Bang! I have 5.1!" but do more subtle mixes designed to enhance environment and overall ambience

3. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I understand the legit import has a transfer that is far too RED.

4. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Supporting Actor

Dennis
    From what I understand, the version released on home video in Japan and in France got a lot of complaints about an obvious red tint to the image. Hopefully the US release addresses that issue, and includes BOTH English and original Japanese in 5.1. I'd personally prefer a Japanese 5.1 track and settle for a DD2.0 of the English if I had my choice (save the bandwidth for the gorgeous images, it really makes a difference!)

-Dennis

5. Michael St. Clair

Since the US release dropped the DTS track (which is fine with me!), there is no reason that the image bitrate will drop to less than the asian versions.

6. RexW

RexW Stunt Coordinator

I've got the region 3 HK version. It has a DTS-ES track that shows as DTS-ES on my system. And of course it also has the red tint that is slightly noticeable and not a distraction and ......(goes to put on flame-proof suit)....

So I'm guessing you have a nice bootleg copy.

7. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Rex on this. The red tint is not a distraction, and it is definitely dts on the R3.

8. Michael St. Clair

I thought the red tint was just awful (saw the R3). Seeing the movie in the theater without the tint was a revelation. Can't wait to buy the R1 disc.

9. Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong Stunt Coordinator

I saw the movie twice in theater. The red tint is already there when I saw it. So I think it is intended.

There are several versions of region 3 Spirited Away DVD - you can find either cantonese or mandarin track is included.

The Japanese DTS-ES track for cantonese version, which bought in Singapore and probably made in Malaysia, is very bad sound to me. (confusing?) The sound gets distorted when little bit loud, like the cymbal crashing sound.

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Ryan, you more than likely bought a boot then, especially if it originated from Malaysia

The legit versions are crystal clear

11. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I saw a digital projection of Spirited Away at the Loews Cineplex here in Boston.

The red tint captured by many of the DVD screen grabs presented online was definitely NOT in evidence in the theater here.

12. Ryan Wong

Ryan Wong Stunt Coordinator

No, it is an original region 3 DVD that bought from HMV.

But I must say sometimes even bootleg manufacturers can do much better than the local original DVD manufacturers here. That's why we all insist to buy region 1 dvds.

13. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit