What's new

Spirited Away DVDs... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly Porco Rosso, Whisper of the Heart and Pom Poko are coming in the fall, but that's not confirmed.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Wait a minute! POM POKO!! Is that the one with the raccoons who can stretch their testicles to enormous size? It's a fun movie, but do you think Disney would release it as a children's film in the States? If so, WOW! It's a hoot.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Given that it's not Miyazaki's film, but Takahata's... :)

I don't remember this testicle stretching sequence you speak of, but these are Tanukis, not raccoons (a close cousin granted)

SimonI

Grip
It happens all the way through the film, which is easily the funniest of all the Ghibli films; the fantasy parade sequence in the latter half of the film is an amazing piece of animation, easily as good as anything in Spirited Away.

I would be simply amazed if Disney marketed this film as a children's animation...:eek:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
How Americans prounce words is usually wrong

for example, I dare you to find an "e" sound anywhere, especially in the middle, of the word karaoke (ka-ra-oh-kay)

It's Jiblee, think turkey ghiblits. It's and Italian word meaning "hot wind across the Sahara" used by Italian WW1 pilots.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Thanks to the theatrical re-release, I was able to take my 6-1/2 year old daughter to see the English dub in the theater this weekend. It was very well done, probably even a better dub than Mononoke. John Lasseter, Kirk Wise, and whoever else was involved with it did justice to a great film. I will rarely watch the English dub at home once my daughters are a little better readers, but in the meantime, it is a very satisfying theatrical experience. :emoji_thumbsup:

I anxiously await the DVD, but I'm glad I didn't "snub the dub" on the big screen.

Regards,

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
In other words, it was actually pronounced correctly on the TV promos Disney was running last week for the Spirited Away re-release?? Amazing!!
Yup, they still can't pronounce Hayao right though

(it's supposed to sound somewhat like like Ed McMahon's HAIYO! without the ludicrous emphasis :))

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Brent Hutto:

As far as I can remember, not a single note of the score was touched during the localization. For the record, I loved the score, but I was in a theatre with a properly set-up sound system.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
Brendan,

I've since done some reading and it appears that the score was very well-liked and is considered a major positive aspect of the movie. IIRC, I didn't have an entirely favorable impression of the music in Princess Mononoke, either.

It just seemed emotionally out of sync with the story at times as well as frequently calling attention to itself. Simply a matter of my taste being oddball, I suppose. It certainly would have been a different experience if the piano notes didn't sound as though they were coming from a cheap AM radio at times. That's what home theater is for...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Only Laputa has had additional score written, and it was done by Joe Hisashi, the original composer of all of Miyazaki's movies

Brendan Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Brent:

Fair enough. For the record I wasn't overly impressed with the score to Princess Mononoke myself. In fact, it wasn't until Spirited Away that I sat up and took note of the music in its own right (in fact, right now I'm listening to track one of the SA soundtrack, love that piano theme)

My taste could be as oddball as yours of course. Post here if and when you hear it on your own setup. I'm curious to see if it's a technical or taste thing.

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor

April 15 will be here soon. Between my own home theater and the fact we'll be reading subtitles and listening to Japanese voices it will be a very different experience. Could be that we'll "get" the music then. Or maybe not. I'll post either way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks