'Spinning Donuts'?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Jun 21, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I've seen this happen twice in my area. We live at the end of a cauldesac(You know, that thing seen in Cartoon Networks 'Ed, Edd, and Eddy' show [​IMG] ). Twice, I've seen two whacko's drive around it in circles for about two minutes straight. I hate ANYONE doing anything suspicious in the neighborhood, ever since someone called in a bomb threat, so this got my nerves up. I was thinkning of calling the cops to check it out, or a bunch of neighbors, when they drove off...
    Now I'm wondering what could drive someone to do something that idiotic, I see on a CBS 2 commercial for Dan Rather, that this tactic is called "Spinning Donuts". I'll have to remember to watch this report, because I just don't get it. Anyone else see this practice near them?
    Now, if only I can figure out why another set of teens kept on driving back and forth a few feet for about 3 minutes. Middle of the Cauldesac, end of the Cauldesac, Middle, End, Middle, End. In one straight line for two minutes.
    Go figure.

2. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I have done this on many occasions but never in someone's neighborhood. Way too dangerous. I always did it on some gravel road or a buddy's driveway away from other people. I would definately call the police if it is in a neighborhood. Especially if they r doing it for 2 min.[​IMG]

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I've seen people doing it as well.

I'm confused, though, what's the point??

4. Jared_B

Jared_B Supporting Actor

Ahh, donuts - A favorite passtime of mine!

5. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

In a neighborhood, id be pissed and call the cops. But I to am guilty of doing donuts in a empty parking lot in the winter.

There really is not point aside from the fact of spinning your car/truck in circles and having a good old redneck time. But if you really think about it what is the point of anything what is the point of HT? Scary thought!

Although usually when a fist good snow strikes I take my truck out to a empty parking lot out at the mall to get used to how it handles in snow. Oversteer, understeer, breaking, traction, etc.

6. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Turning around and around in a cauldesac isn't "donuts" unless they are getting the back end to whip around the front end (the front almost acts as a pivot for the back to swing around) and are leaving tire marks in the road.
    Donuts are dangerous, but just repeatedly turning through the cauldesac isn't. I used to do this as a teen as a joke (when there was no other traffic and no one was in danger/inconvenienced) just to get my fellow teen passengers dizzy. It's fun...for an occasional joke. Teens like to do all kinds of things just as a joke. They don't even know why they do them.
    Weren't you ever a teen? [​IMG]

7. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

8. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>>Weren't you ever a teen?>>
    Yep, but a very quiet one [​IMG]. I didn't slowly break out of my shell untill senior year when I started to lighten up a little. My idea of a fun time during the entire highschool/pre-one year college run, was to sit down with a good book in front of the radio, play a few video games, or bone up on my computer skills trying to teach myself how to use it.
    No thrill stuff or parties for me [​IMG]

9. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    Yes, spinning donuts is the act of actually "breaking loose" the rear tires and spinning the back end around. This is really not easy to do in a front wheel drive car, so I'm wondering are they actually doing donuts or just driving around in circles.

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    [​IMG]
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yes, you can do them in reverse in a FWD car, and its really not any harder to pull off than a regular one in a RWD, however, it is much harder on the transmission seeing as how your doing them in reverse. Also, you look like a retard doing them in FWD car [​IMG]. I was speaking strictly of doing a regular donut in a FWD car. Actually, I dont believe RWD donuts to be that dangerous, especially in a high powered car. The easier the wheels actually break loose, the safer the manuver is, provided your doing it on purpose and not overextending the car.

12. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

You can also do donuts (going forwards) in an AWD car [​IMG]

13. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    BTW, in case anyone cares, the term is "cul-de-sac" Which is just a fancy way of saying "circle at end of dead-end street" in French.

Also the action described doesn't sound at all like doin' donuts. It just sounds like an idiot driving around in circles.

Regards,

Joe

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

15. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, I'm sure the police disagree with a lot of stuff I think [​IMG] :b

16. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

17. Mark Romero

Mark Romero Second Unit

The masters of spinning donuts: Krispy Kreme

18. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Yeah, Bill, I agree. I guess I forget sometimes that no everyone grew up on a farm in BFE. NOTHING is within 5 car lengths of ANYTHING else where I learned to drive. [​IMG]

19. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

20. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I did plenty of donuts when I was learning to drive in empty parking lots.

Over the next 20 years those skills saved my life a couple of times.
    Hitting an ice patch at 50 miles of hours you dont have time to think