Spinning a basketball on your fingertip

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Can anyone do this proficiently? I've been trying to learn this trick, and can sometimes impress myself for a brief moment, but I'd love to be able to do it with ease. Anyone have tips?

Jon

2. Paul Jannatpour

Paul Jannatpour Auditioning

I am somewhat proficient in that I can spin a basketball on any of the five fingers of my right hand and can switch back and forth between fingers. I have taught a few friends how to do it and the most important tip from my experience would be to make sure to spin the ball on the edge of your finger nail rather than your fingertip. Also, try to get a little bit of bend in your finger (don't point it straight up). Beyond that, repetition seems to be the key. Much like juggling, you try and try and then all of a sudden you get it and you can do it without even thinking about it.

--Paul

3. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Practice, practice, practice!

Try using a slightly deflated basketball, this will cause a slight dimple in the surface and give you a little more control. After you practice, work up to full inflation.

You can also practice spining couch pillows!

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

5. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Maybe practice by using a 16lb bowling ball with your finger in one of the holes.... and do it in a china shop.

Well... maybe thats a bad idea.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    lol, one of my classmates can spin textbooks with his fingers... he practices it soo much... freeeaaaak... :p)