What's new

Spin Magazine 50 Greatest Groups of All Time (1 Viewer)

DanaA

Screenwriter
In my opinion, The Clash, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, and Velvet Underground should all be ranked higher. Where are The Who and Pearl Jam??? These things upset me so.

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
WOW, a top 50 band list and no mention of Rush? I don't know whether I should be pissed off, purely disgusted, or just keep rolling around on the floor laughing my ass off.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Do they list any criteria for what they consider "greatest"? If influence is a main factor, some of this makes convoluted sense. But the Beach Boys behind Blondie, KISS, and Guns 'N Roses? Shouldn't Pet Sounds alone put them above all of them? And The Who are ridiculously low.

It's a way to sell magazines and get people talking. Task accomplished.

Gordon Wakim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gordon
Pink Floyd at 49 shows how ridiculous this list is. Wasn't Dark Side Of The Moon on the billboard charts for some 15 years ? This is a very bad list.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
From the initial link:

The band is back. During the past year or so, the pop world has completed a cycle that began in the mid-1990s. Back then, with grunge flannel on Macy's mannequins, the band model seemed a bit tired. Rappers, dancing teens, and DJs took over the pop charts, MTV, and magazines. Then, gradually, bands crept back. Groups like Creed, Incubus, System of a Down, and, most notably, Staind and Linkin Park have spent serious time in the Top 10. Once again, the band dynamic -- people interacting as musicians, friends, enemies, or fellow drug-addled lunatics -- is capturing our imagination. So here's our look at 50 great bands from the 1960s forward. To qualify, these groups had to have a roof-raising, history-changing sound, presence, or hairstyle. They also had to clearly influence today's music in undeniable ways. Finally, they had to be bands that we care about deeply. We hope you will, too

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I liked the fact that the punk bands rated so highly. Maybe I am biased, but I really do love the Ramones and the Sex Pistols, The Clash was awesome too. I don't think a whole lot of credit is given to many punk bands and quite frankly I was glad to see it finally given.
Peace out,
Eve
ANARCHY:emoji_thumbsup:

MikeAW

Second Unit
Eve, I second your opinion on punk bands!

I'm sure you've seen "Filth And the Fury"...wish others here would...they would think twice about putting on Eric Clapton!

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
MikeAW,

Love the Eric Clapton comment.

EveT,

I agree...punk was so different from what was popular at the time that it was truely earth shattering.

I personally would have put the Dead Kennedys on the list instead of the Sex Pistols, but that just me.

Also I am oh so glad that they put Kraftwork on the list as hopefully more people will go out and listen to this brillant group of musicians.

bill lopez

Second Unit
The best way to do any of these lists is to do them by Decade. This way best of 60's,70's,80's & 90's come out in their time on top and then it's up to each one of us children of God to make the final judgement.Or else we get one person making the choice for us like DVD OF THE YEAR as an example.:emoji_thumbsup:

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Kelly_b right on! I love the dead kennedy's :)
I also think they should have made the list.

DonMac

Stunt Coordinator
The Beastie Boys at #10 and Run-D.M.C. at #14?!?? And too far down the list are R.E.M. at #28, The Who at #39, Pink Floyd at #49, and Red Hot Chili Peppers at #50, and a bunch of others!!! Well, with the awful order of rankings in this list, Spin magazine once again shows that it is one of the biggest wastes of paper in the country.

Given the lack-of-history-and-taste indicated by the rankings in this list, I think if Spin one day made up a list of the Greatest Standup Comics Ever, they would probably have Carrot Top at #6, Gallagher at #11, but Lenny Bruce way down at #49 because "he never had his own HBO special"

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
all i can say is that New Order (one of my all-time faves) barely squeaked onto the list! woo-hoo!!! :) :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
I personallly think this is one of the better greatest bands lists I've seen. Like the intro says, this list was based not only on the quality of their music, but their influence on music that came after them.

The bands that didn't make the list and were mentioned in this thread built their sound on one or more of the bands all ready on the list. I love The Dead Kennedys, but its hard to argue against the fact that their sound came from the pistols, ramones, and the clash. The other reason I like this list is that along with influence on music, they also consider the bands' commerical success. I would imagine this is why the buzzcocks didn't make the list. The buzzcocks definately influenced the punk scene, but they weren't able to sell their new sound to the public.

One ranking that I will strongly disagree with though, is Metallica at #20. I don't think they really steered a style of music that they helped to create. They just happened to rise to the top of a specific style of music they were a part of. Unfortunately the music industry feels the need to reward Metallica every chance they can for their stand on music sharing. I still think their black album would have been more appropriately titled "We sold our soul", but that was already taken.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks