What's new

Spin City (1 Viewer)

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
I was watching an episode last night of Spin City on my local Fox affiliate and it was the best 30 minutes of television I have had in the last while. The particular episode was one in which Paul (the press secretary) gets to go on Who Wants to be a Millionaire. The actor actually went on the celebrity show and so I guess they taped special segments for the sitcom. The plot line in the show involved the Mayor falling down a well shortly after firemen rescue a baby that had fallen down previously whom the Mayor had come to visit. I won't spoil the outcome of the episode as it unravels quite unexpectedly and is hilarious.
I try to catch this show each night after The Simpsons, Fraiser and Seinfeld which are all on Fox starting at 10pm. A couple months ago I had never watched Spin City, but now consider it one of my favourite comedies beside the other three I mentioned. Its a shame Michael J. Fox had to leave the show because of his medical condition because he really makes the show work. The other performances are all great, the characters are just really funny. Anyone else enjoy the show too?
BTW, I've only watched one of the new episodes with Charlie Sheen and didn't really enjoy it. Its just not the same.
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I too really enjoy this show, i'm referring specifically to the ones before Heather Locklear came on. I have never watched a Charlie Sheen episode. Personally, I gave up watching after Jennifer Esposito left. She was so hot!
yum.gif

------------------
No Soup For You!

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Spin City is one of the few shows that will make you roll out of your seat laughing. It is sad that Michael J. Fox had to leave the show when it just seemed to be reaching its apex as one of the newer cutting edge sitcoms on TV. I think that with any show where there is a major casting change, it takes time to get used to the members of the cast. For instance, when Kirstie Alley joined Cheers it was a very drastic change for all who watched the show. After some time was allowed to become acclimated to the newfound feel of the show, there was a definite improvement. Although Charlie Sheen has some big shoes to fill, all we can do is give him a chance to work his own brand of magic and rejuvenate an outstanding half hour of television. I think that given some time, Spin City will develop the same loyal following that it once had and will find a new place in our hearts.
------------------
rock_band.gif
"See the world on the wings of rock and roll"

Mitty

Supporting Actor
I've only watched this show about a half a dozen times, but Barry Bostwick (formerly Brad in The Rocky Horror Picture Show) is quite funny as they mayor. He reminds of Stephen Root from NewsRadio. Rich, powerful buffoons.
I watched the last episode with Michael J. Fox and the scene where he recorded the tearful goodbye into the video camera and then handed him the tape (he was standing right by him the whole time) was brilliant.
I heard somewhere that the show is actually getting higher ratings this season with Charlie Sheen. Not sure if that's true or not.

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Barry Bostwick is hilarious as the mayor. His lines are always really funny. I think what makes the show so funny is total contrast in characters that are present in that one office.
Seb
------------------
"I deem him one of the greatest beings alive in our time. I do not see his like elsewhere. His name will live in English letters; it will live in the annals of war; it will live in the legends of Arabia." - Winston Churchill on T.E. Lawrence

Damian

Agent
It's been widely publisised that Michael J. will be back next season for at least the season premier. Something to do with a hidden person Heather Locklier had in her room when Charlie showed up.
I only watched a few shows this past season as well. I think the cast in general is fine, I just don't think Charlie Sheen is that good in that role. He comes across as too much the straight charactor, even though he's suppose to be funny.
------------------
-Damian

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Michael J. Fox is returning for an episode? This is in the next season premier? I'll have to watch it.
Seb
------------------

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Spin City has given Law and Order a run for its money in terms of changing cast members.
I agree, this show is excellent. Had great comedic timing and acting since its debut episode. The actors who play Carter and Stuart are particularly brilliant (one is named Alan Ruck, I think the other is named Michael Boatman).
But this show's quality has started to slip a bit since Sheen moved in. He's a game performer, and has some nice timing, but just can't stack up to the greatness that is Michael J. Fox. The writing also isn't as funny as it once was.
Add to that the letting go of my two favorite females on the show--Connie Britton and Jennifer Esposito--and I'm starting to lose interest. I will never fully forgive the show for getting rid of my beloved Carla Gugino (who played the reporter/Fox's girlfriend during S1)...damn was she HOT!!! :)
------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
john- i hear you, she was smokin'! i read somewhere she was supposed to be in some movies this year or next. perhaps we'll be seeing more of her!

Sebastian_M

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, too bad they keep losing some of the best actresses. As I was thinking about the show today at work, I couldn't help but laugh at the character of James. His lines are always so funny since he's so clueless and young.
Isn't it funny that both Law and Order and Spin City keep losing cast members and yet are two of the best shows on tv? I've watched Law and Order for about 4 years and all the cast members have been great.
Seb
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
tommy_esq, i've seen Jennifer in a couple of movies already. She was in 'I Still Know What You Did Last Summer', and 'Dracula 2000'.
------------------
No Soup For You!

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Mitty, I'm pretty sure the show has been doing worse in the ratings this past season. I'm one of the people who stopped watching it.
~T

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
Mitty is correct. Season five not only has drawn larger audiences than before, but it's brought in younger viewers, which advertisers crave. Early season four episodes with Michael J. Fox brought in around 11.8 million viewers, and early season five episodes with Charlie Sheen brought in 12.1 million viewers. The audience for "Spin City" has increased 13 percent among teenagers and 7 percent among men 18 to 34. Ratings remained pretty solid throughout the season.
(Numbers are from a NY Times article by Bernard Weinraub.)
------------------
My DVD list | My personal site

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I've recently started watching Spin City on the daily syndicated reruns have been liking it more and more. I had watched the odd episode before and thought it was good, but not something worth watching on a regular basis. But I'll probably watch it more often now.

tommy_esq

Stunt Coordinator
john- i'll have to check out dracula 2000. i've seen i still know what you did last summer and don't remember her as being in it (though i probably dozed off!). must not have been a big part?!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Tommy, she played the slutty bartender at the resort, and I believe she gets speared in the back. No, not a big part.
------------------
No Soup For You!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks