spiking subwoofer

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Matt Dolejsi, May 14, 2003.

1. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

Would i really benefit from spiking my HT Tempest, Its well built sealed, mid leaning to low Q design, I was looking into something interesting to add to the mirror black finish i have on it, and the dayton speaker spiking system looked alright. I wanted to know if anyone here has ever used something similar and if the imaging improved.

2. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Personally I don't think spiking makes a noticeable difference, but I guess factors such as the type of floor and the weight of the sub may have to be taken into account.

If your sub is on a thick carpet with padding underneath, then spiking might be able to make the bass cleaner and perhaps more tight.

Something that will have a similar effect to spiking the sub is placing a heavy weight on top of the sub to add mass and reduce the vibrations of the sub.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

I've tried those spikes before. I guess the results really depend on the sub you have. As to the actual build quality of the spikes, they're pretty good for the price.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

6. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    If your enclosure isn't vibrating then (based on my experience) it won't make much of a difference. Back in college, a roommate and I built a sub that would literally walk across the floor... spikes were required! Of course this was before I knew about proper enclosure design, bracing, etc. Spikes look cool though...