Spikes on hardwood?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg W L, Dec 14, 2001.

1. Greg W L

Greg W L Agent

New owner here, just purchased in the past month a Marantz 5200 (no problems so far, just great sound), paradigm Atoms as mains, Micros as surrounds and PDR 10 Sub, with Toshiba 2710 DVD and the same old Sony 5 disc CD player. All told sounds real good (Previous system consisted of Dynaco A25 speakers and a Sansui integrated amp bought during first year university in '74). Still learning to walk with this HT stuff though. One question...the speaker stands come with optional spikes, and I don't know if I should use them or not. They are the Premier stands that Paradigm recommends. (LS -40). The stands are on hardwood floors and I don't know the plus and minuses of the spikes. What purpose do they serve? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Spikes are generally used for carpet. A deep pile makes for and uneven surface. Some people feel that spikes can can help tighten up the base response of the speaker (mileage will vary). Spikes do allow your speakers to "dig-in".

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Spikes are meant to physically couple the speaker box to the floor. This gives the speaker apparent additional mass, thus giving the speaker cone more to push against. As such, more sound ends up in the air, and less "wasted" moving the box.

The spikes are bound to put small point marks in the hardwood floor over time. If that's ok, use them. If not, get some high durometer (i.e. stiff) rubber feet, put those on the bottom of the speaker, and then lay something heavy on top of the speaker (marble slab?) Basically, the same effect.

Todd

4. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

I have hardwood floors and I just put a penny under each spike. You get the mass location without the marring. The 8 cent solution.

5. David Werner

David Werner Stunt Coordinator

John_Lee-Exactly what I did when I had hardwood floors worked very nice.