Spikes on a downfiring sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AlexKunec, Apr 23, 2002.

1. AlexKunec

AlexKunec Stunt Coordinator

"By rigidly coupling a loudspeaker enclosure to a floor by means of a "spiking" system, it is possible to dramatically improve clarity, stereo imaging and tighten up the bass response" From PE.

Is this true? I don't quite understand the physics behind this.

My sub is downfiring on hardwood floor. Should I consider buying spikes. Also should I put something under the sub (Like a ceramic tile), so that the sound stays in the room, or would it be better just leave the sub firing into the hardwood?

On some high end yamaha subs (downfiring), they put some kind of a cone underneath the sub to direct the sound in all directions. Would that make much difference?

2. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

I can't answer all your questions, but I will say, as I understand it, you should NOT use spikes on hardwood. The point of spikes is for use on carpet as it allows the footing of your sub/speaker to reach down through the squishy carpet and make contact with the solid subfloor.

With hardwood, this is not an issue. My PSB speakers came with both spikes and dense rubber semi-circle feet. The rubber feet were for use on hardwood (and would certainly do less damage) and the spikes were for carpet.

Can't explain the science behind it, just that that's the way I understand it. My guess is that for the best response you want a "solid" contact with the surface your speaker is sitting on, with hardwood, thats a given so the rubber feet are enough, but with contact you don't get that solid contact, thus the need for spikes.

Hope this helps.

Robin Smith

3. Ryan T

Ryan T Second Unit