spikes are they neccessary

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Brooke, May 22, 2002.

1. Simon Brooke

Simon Brooke Stunt Coordinator

hi, i am new here and I already have my little home theatre up and running, i am keen to find out about spikes and cones and if they are neccessary.

i live in cape town in south africa and even though we have a large selection of home theatre brands i can't seem to find spikes. if they are useful or neccessary what can be used as a substitute

thanks in advance

2. Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT Stunt Coordinator

I run NHT VT2.4s and 2 NHT Sub2i subwoofers. I have a berber type carpet in my great room and I use the supplied spikes once I found the postion that sounded the best to me. It seems like a wood subfloor acts as a natural transducer and makes the bass "boomy". I did not think that there would be an audible difference but after I installed the spikes, I had really tight/accurate bass. It was quite a noticeable difference. Instead of having the entire bottom of the speaker in contact with the floor, should I say the carpet/padding, the speakers now have a tiny contact patch with the subfloor. I'm not sure where you can find spikes/cones but I'm sure that someone here will most likely know.

Good Luck,
    Doug

3. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

You don't have to buy "home theater spikes." You could do what I did, and buy carpet spikes, which are basically the same thing. I went to a hardware store and bought some. They are little disks with a nail sticking out of the center. I duc-taped them to the bottom of my subwoofer's feet, nail end down, of course.

4. Roger Kint

Roger Kint Stunt Coordinator

What do you do if you have hardwood floors? Surely you woulndn't want to spike the floor... ?

5. Doug_NHT

Doug_NHT Stunt Coordinator

Well, get those stick on rubber pads. I'm sure a hardware or hobby store would have those. NHT supplies those as well as the cones with their speakers.

Doug