Spies Like Us/Three Amigos

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Stone, Oct 13, 2001.

1. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Has anyone heard anything about the Spies Like Us/Three Amigos Warner 2Pak? According to Amazon it will be released on November 20, 2001, but there are no technical details listed.
    The currently released DVDs of both films leave a lot to be desired: Three Amigos is widsecreen, but it's a poor non-anamorphic transfer, and it also appears to be mis-framed. Spies Like Us is only available on DVD in a terrible "fullscreen" transfer with really bad sound.
    I hope Warner does the right thing with these films this time around, but I'm not holding my breath. Anyone have more information?
    ------------------
    John
    http://www.twowiresthin.com

2. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

I love Spies Like US. I agree, the sound and even picture are terrible. I think its one of those two comedians greatest movies.
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333

3. Gavin_L

Gavin_L Second Unit

I'm guessing it will be the same dvds, they are just putting two dvds together. I haven't heard anything from the various dvd news sites. so i betting they are just rereleasing the old versions
    Would be nice to see spies like us in widescreen version and some nice chevy and dan commentary in a special edition..... I currently own the regular nice full screen version =.

4. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

Yeah, Three Amigos pretty much sucks. The non-anamorphic transfer is piss poor and because of an authoring mistake the DVD sends you back to the main menu BEFORE the end credits are finished rolling!
    Somebody needs to get on the ball and redo this one.
    [​IMG]

5. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The Three Amigos' negatives are in bad shape on the DVD as well. There are shots where the frame wobbles & weaves back and forth due to sprocket hole stretching. HBO did a hack job on this even though it's in widescreen.
    They need to give this screwball classic the respect it deserves.
    Dan
    ------------------
    Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
    [Edited last by Dan Hitchman on October 14, 2001 at 09:53 PM]

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

Both of these superb comedies need to be revisited, yet I don't see that happening for a long time.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"