What's new

Spielberg apparently wants to eliminate word "terrorist" from ET (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Carl
If it's NOT because of recent events, why do YOU think this thread was started?
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Annie G

Auditioning
I read through this entire thread too and of course it was started due to the recent tragedies.
Why else would it have been started? To complain about a thirteen year old edit???
rolleyes.gif

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It was based on the Dark Horizons article. I didn't see the Sept. 11 barbarism mentioned in the article.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
RobertR
No offense, just trying to be clear. :)
So your comment about "PC sensitivity" was not referring to the tragedies in any way?
I was merely trying to let people know that this is not a new development, so its discussion is puzzling if it indeed has nothing to do with 9-11.
I think it was a fair assumption to assume this was the reason, wouldn't you agree?
------------------

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
This is so ridiculous for Dark Horizons to release an article saying that Spielberg will make a change in one of his films when, in reality, the change had already been made years ago.
What were they thinking? Is Dark Horizons even a reputable publication/site?
~Edwin

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sept. 11 is obviously on everyone's mind, Tino, but I saw it as yet another example of PC sensitivity run amuck.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The article mentions having Dee Wallace Stone record new dialogue from the scene, which is a RECENT development, and was NOT done 13 years ago. Again, I don't see any mention of last month's terrible tragedy in the article or in the original post.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think this is rediculous but from what I have read, Spielberg wants to CGI the guns out of the hands of the adults hands when they are aiming them at the kids.
Sounds like the Guido scene in Star Wars.
Cant these guys leave their films alone???????!!!!????

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
My posts in this thread were in response to the title of this thread, which is incorrect.
It was misleading due to the lazy reporting of Dark Horizons.
------------------

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What is the point of this thread? To discuss an edit that occurred 13 years ago or about Hollywood's attempt to politically correct films due to the recent tragic events? In either case, the name of this thread is misleading!
Crawdaddy
------------------
Peter Staddon: "I didn't say you can put 'Monkeybone' back!"

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I saw the Dark Horizons article as a jumping off point for further discussion on Hollywood PC revisionism, which I think is a valid topic regardless of any assumed tie in to Sept. 11.
------------------

Eric Bass

Second Unit
All I have to say is that it's such a bummer when you are spending thousands of dollars to upgrade your equipment and movie collection to the newest technology, and find out that you can't because the movies you own on the previous media have been changed because some Martha Stewart watching daily church attending mother of eight might get offended. Eventually we'll all own about 6 different type of movie players just to have the actual movie we saw once upon a time available to watch. I started movie collecting with VHS, the quality may have sucked, but at least I knew what I was gonna get when I bought it. It's getting absurd now with new sound effects, new musical scores, new special effects. Directors want to do that...fine. Just offer me the original. Cause when I throw in Jaws and watch the Chief open up with the rifle and for some reason it's 3 times as cannon-sounding as I remember, well that just pisses me off.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
OK, now I'm confused.
Since this edit was done 13 years ago for the video release (confirmed by Tino on this forum and a Swedish owner of the UK VHS version of the movie on another forum), why did Dark Horizons mention something about Dee Wallace-Stone saying she is going back to the studio to remove a line about terrorists?
Is that a fabricated quote, an old quote, or was she talking about something else?
/Mike

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well it sounds to me like Dee Wallace Stone is confused. She probably hasn't seen E.T in years and doesn't even realize that that line was already removed thirteen years ago. Perhaps Spielberg wants to ADD some lines (re-looping).
Add to that poor reporting by these websites and newspapers apparently trying to stir up controversy that could easily have been checked out
and reported correctly. It took me all of five minutes to prove this story incorrect.
By using the tragedies of September 11 to create unfounded reports these "sources" are truly reprehensible IMO. Sorry but here in the NYC area, the mourning and memorial services are still going on, and these types of irresponsible reporting only add to the problems.
It's just amazing to me that these
rumours weren't checked out by these sites before being reported and prompting these type of threads.
BTW, my comments are not directed at RobertR, but at the lazy reporters that don't do their jobs. I apologize but this is a very touchy subject for me and many others.
Sad indeed.
frown.gif

------------------

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
In defense of Dark Horizons, I've found it to be the most credible source when it comes to reporting things in the works (certainly much more so than Harry Knowles). If Dee Wallace made the quote recently, you can't blame them for reporting it. If you read the article from the San Jose Mercury News, it's clearly a recent quote since she mentions her upcoming booking on Oprah to promote the re-release.
Jeff

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeff
I agree that usually Dark Horizons is a good source for upcoming news.
However in this case, it and other
publications have clearly shown poor judgement by not checking the facts. Ms. Stones recent (which I never disputed) comments, aren't really the problem. She may have misspoken or been mis-quoted.
IMO, the problem is that no one checks these stories out beforehand and apparently, to create controversy, they are linked to September 11 and exaggerated. Obviously I and other members already knew that line was taken out years ago so it's not "new" news.
Am I the only person angered by this practice?
confused.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Tino on October 13, 2001 at 07:14 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks