What's new

Spielberg apparently wants to eliminate word "terrorist" from ET (2 Viewers)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Just read that eliminating guns from the film is apparently not enough for him. He's having the word "terrorist" looped out in a scene involving trick or treaters. This PC "sensitvity" never seems to stop...
------------------

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Where did you read this? There have been more than enough rumors floating around the Internet without knowing the source.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dan is correct. Spielberg did edit out the word "terrorist" from ET.
However, this was done before it was released on home video more than 10 years ago, and NOT due to the recent tragedys.
I noticed this immediately when I watched the VHS version so many years ago for the first time.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
I can still remember the big laugh that "terrorist" line got in the theater in 1982. Times sure have changed.
--Bill

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
Actually, it was just announced in a press release that the makers of M&Ms have just signed a substantive advertising contract with Speilburg, and that all of the Resses Pieces in the movie will be digitally replaced with chocolate M&Ms.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I used to think that there'd be a day when all my laser discs were replaced with dvds. Now I picture a day when I'll have 1000 dvds and 1 ld.
frown.gif

------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
There seems to be some conflicting info on this. I thought this had already been done, but then I read this on Dark Horizons:
"ET: The Extra-Terrestrial: Just when you thought this whole movie changing/editing thing was quietening down, it rears up again in the most ridiculous of ways. Creators reports that Dee Wallace Stone has been called in to change a line in the upcoming re-release of "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" due out on March 22nd. Stone says "There was some reference to one of the Halloween characters in the film looking like a terrorist, so we're going in to reloop that line". Sheesh. Nevertheless there's going to be big push for this re-release (with new footage) as Stone has been booked for several major publicity events (eg. "Oprah"). "
Jeff

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm getting so tired of this revisionism. If Spielberg were making the film now, I could understand. But for a flick that's been with us since 1982, it's unacceptable. The word "terrorism" cannot be eliminated from the language, for goodness sake.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
In the original video release of E.T. The Extra Terrestrial on VHS in 1988, the scene in question plays as follows at the 101:50 mark on the tape.
~~~~~~~~~~~
Elliot is putting on makeup for Halloween going over the plan with Gertie when offscreen this dialog takes place.
Mother:
"Listen buster, you won't get four blocks in this neighborhood dressed like that"
Son:
"Please?"
Mother:
"No and that is final"
Son:
But all the guys are"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the theatrical version, the mother says something like: "There's no way you are going out dressed like a terrorist"
That line is missing entirely so perhaps they are talking about adding a line to replace the one already taken out THIRTEEN YEARS AGO and NOT due to the recent tragedies.
Is it that hard for Dark Horizons to just pop in a tape and check their facts BEFORE spreading incorrect rumors?
rolleyes.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Tino on October 10, 2001 at 02:44 PM]

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I'm getting so tired of this revisionism...
I will echo this thought. If we are in danger of this becoming some sort of widespread trend in the industry I will dislike it...IMMENSELY.
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

JamesCS

Stunt Coordinator
I don't get it. Is Spielberg removing the terrorist comment from ET out of respect for victims of past and future terrorist attacks? Or is he removing it because he's concerned about offending the sensitivities of terrorists?
Let's see, we have CNN, Reuters, and now Steven Spielberg dropping the word "terrorist" from their vocabulary. How quaint.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Like James, I just don't understand the motivation.
What purpose does it serve? Is anyone going to recoil at the word terrorist?
Shall we have it removed from dictionaries?
Maybe we should come up with a new softer, but utterly meaningless, phrase for terrorism. How about "Societal Safety Revocation?"
------------------
Do you like SCARY MOVIES?
Scary Movie Challenge: 13, 12, 11 10 to go!

mark_d

Second Unit
Do people bother to read the thread before posting? I am not going to allow myself to get upset at an edit that occurred thirteen frickin years ago.
Mark

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Mark
I agree. I thought my above post would end this discussion so let me repeat it for the people in the cheap seats. :)
THIS EDIT WAS DONE THIRTEEN YEARS AGO!!
If you would like to blame Spielberg for removing it in the first place, fine, but it is NOT because of recent events.
Sheesh!
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

------------------
[Edited last by Tino on October 11, 2001 at 06:15 AM]

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
If you would like to blame Spielberg for removing it in the first place, fine, but it is NOT because of recent events.
I just read through the entire thread again. I didn't see a single mention of the recent events, except in your own post.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Carl, the first message states that Spielberg is "having" the word terrorist eliminated. That certainly indicates that the writer thinks Spielberg is CURRENTLY changing dialog. Nobody writes "having" a change done in relation to a change that was made 13 years ago. It is completely obvious that it's being discussed only because of the recent terrorist attacks.
/Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks