What's new

Spiders in the shower! (1 Viewer)

MikePeroni

Stunt Coordinator
Where do they come from?!?! Have a full bath in my finished basement and am often greeted by a nice giant spider waiting in the shower. This is a one piece sealed fiberglass unit, and the basement is drywalled w/ drop ceiling. Are they 'finding' the shower from my unfinished storage room 40 feet away?? Can they come up through the drain? Im assuming they like the moisture of the shower. Anyway this is 'bugging' me since I never see them on the carpet on the way in there...creepy!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Hey, at least they're clean! :)
I believe they can come up the drain...
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Those little icky things are probably coming in through some crack, like under the door. I live in a finished basement and there is no shortage of spiders and house centipedes. Damn, I hate bugs! They are probably my biggest phobia.
smiley_puke.gif

------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Two days in a row last week, I stepped into the shower and was greeted by a slimy slug!!

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Try living in a house with Brown Recluse spiders. I've been living in my house for 8 years now and am constantly finding spiders, especially in the shower. I've grown to accept them and they don't bother me anymore. I guess the worst spider experience I've had was waking up with one hanging mere inches from my face on a web it spun overnight from the ceiling fan lights to my arm.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Awwwwwwww, can I move in... I like spiders! Yes, they tend to like the humidity and spiders can fit into any hole that's smaller than their "abdomen" (technically not the correct name but it's easier to say abdomen than opithosoma).
Many people who raise tarantula spiderlings make too large an airhole and they find their little T missing cause they are amazing little guys. However the coolest escape artist I've seen are octopi who can fit into the most amazing small tubes given their big size. I saw something on PBS of an octopi put into a glass box connected to anther glass box by a really tiny tube (forget the diameter) and just sitting in amazement how the guy just slide easily from one box to the other with ease. Amazing. :)
Spiders typically don't live long, many like live only 2-3 weeks or so..now tarantulas live longer though...
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Craig Chatterton

Stunt Coordinator
Ah, Brown Recluse spiders. I remember those - they used to attack the vacuum cleaner when I was a kid. We'd try to suck them up and if you missed, look out! Had to get one of those suckers about four times a week, if I remember.
------------------
Virgo: All Virgo's are extremely friendly and intelligent, except for you. Expect a big surprise today, when you wind up with your head impaled upon a stick.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
Hi Jay,
I have been observing a Golden Silk Spider (Nephila clavipes) just outside our screened porch. She is a really amazing spider with a 1" inch body and a total length of about 3 inches. She has been there for about 2 months and in that time she has mated with and eaten at least 2 tiny males. The web is about 2-3 feet diameter and is gold colored.
------------------
Marianne

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as an insect hater. I kill every insect I see in my house, but I feel a little guilty about it. My phobia stems from three main events.
When I was 4 and picked flowers for my mother I looked down and my arm was covered with afids (I was 4, it was scary).
When I was 8 and we moved to a farm I went exploring in our new chicken coup and walked into a hornets nest (stung 46 times).
When I was 9 my brother and I used to use an old 56 Chevy as a fort and we were bouncing up and down on the seat not realizing there was a bees nest underneath (stung 52 times).
Then of course there were movies like Phase IV, The Swarm, The Killer Bees (the TV movie set in New Orleans), and of course The Zanti Misfit episode of The Outer Limits.
------------------
These chicks know how to party! - MoJo JoJo

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Marianne, aren't they interesting little creatures? It does kind of stink being a male spider, short lives, being generally smaller than the female and worst of all, if you get rejected by a lady, you don't just leave disappointed, you can get eaten for dinner!!!
eek.gif
Such a tough life...
When I was in the island of Kauai, in Hawaii, I remember seeing some really awesome orb weaving spiders, include one that had like the most perfect web I've ever seen, it wasn't damaged and probably was made the night before I got on the trail cause it was still a little wet with dew and had no bugs or meals on it. And the spider was perfectly still waiting in the center on it's sensor strings.
Maybe we can have a weekly spider report, how many more males it's eating and what's for dinner... :)
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Jay, you are so wierd..
I hate spiders and snakes..
They are so groose and ewwww..
I was never the type to play with frogs or make mud pies..
Take my advice:
Stay in and do your homework!
I swear, spiders are Satan's tools.
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eeeeeee! Just reading about spiders gives me the creeps, we get some big nasty looking ones sometimes in the house.
When I see one on the wall I let out a high-pitched scream and call Sandra to get rid of it (what a sissy!), she splatters them with her shoe, I don't even want to look at the remains, yuck.
I was chased down a corridor by a spider once, run into the room and the little bastard was still coming, Sandy wasn't around to save my hairy ass, so I grabbed a bunch of magazines from the table and flattened it, close call.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Even the word ("Spider") is creepy. (shudder)
We have a big old spider - I'm told it's a garden spider - that has built a web in front of our bay window. Since it's outside, I'm leaving it alone. I was thinking of buying a camera and setting up a "spider-cam" so we could watch him over the Internet. He's pretty cool. I hope he sticks around for awhile.
However, if he ever makes his way into my house, he'll be dead before he knows what hit him.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
B00004S4YK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Alright Steve C, if you keeps squishing spiders, I'm gonna build a 100ft version of this robot spider and then find where you live and squish you like a little bug!!!! BTW, the robot spider pictured above is on sale at Amazon for $10...
FWIW, do you know you are on an average at most 3 ft from ANY spider wherever you go???
Cats and dogs are boring, that's why I have tarantulas and fish!
Jay

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Hey Jay, I have one of those remote control spiders, and they're not that cool. The idea of a remote control spider would be much cooler if (a) it was a little smaller, (b) it was hairy and looked at least mildly realistic, and (c) it was faster. It's just too damn slow.
Oh, (d) should be RF controlled, not IR. Also, I had a hell of a time getting that controller back off my wrist.
laugh.gif

------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Jay H, come on, these are spiders we're talking about not fluffy kittens, don't worry we (ok she) only squish the big ones, the little ones we leave alone, my cat takes care of them.... :)
Cool robot spider by the way, the ultimate mechanical spider thingy was in 'Wild Wild West' (the only memorable thing in the movie), hey thats one of the few times that movie has ever been mentioned on this forum, so I'll mention it one more time, just for shock value, look away ....now... 'Wild Wild West'.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Scorpians...
....about one a week in the shower recently. I'm almost glad to see them, for the last 10+ years the fire ants have been eradicating all other life forms.
Scorpians are pretty scary for a boy from Indiana but their sting is only a 90 second burn.
I leave the spiders alone, they eat lots of things I like less than them.
Jim

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I just love it when they start a web from my ceiling and drop down. I just get a match and see if they can take the heat. They never make it.
Glenn

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
Weird that you mentioned this yesterday, Mike, because just this morning I found two spiders in my shower. I've never caught a spider in there before but occasionally find one somewhere else in my apartment. I'd guess that the spiders are migrating indoors for the winter in the northern climates. It's very possible that they came through the pipes and a likely entry point would be through the vent pipe that connects to your drain.
Personally, I don't mind spiders too much since they tend to get rid of insects. That said, they better not get too close or they'll suffer the same fate as their two comrades did this morning.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection
[Edited last by Ron Eastman on September 27, 2001 at 08:56 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks