What's new

Spiderman vs. Attack of the Clones (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Youssef: What do you base this on? All Spider-Man adaptations so far have been crap. 3 Star Wars films are universally considered exellent, and 1 debateable. What does this mean?
In the end, absolutely nothing. I will be seeing both, but I haven't seen anything that proves the AOTC will suck, or that Spider-Man will without question rock.
Wait until you've seen the films to make judgements.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its true that marvel has had bad luck making some comic book movies.. things have change with the success of blade and x-men. I believe that sam raimi is the right person for the job.. there was a major legal battle that prevented the making of the spiderman movies.. many studios were involved.. however sony and MGM were able to end it..

JACOB

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
Youssef I agree with Adam why are you assuming AOTC is going to be bad and Spiderman in going to be great? :confused:
I actually think Spiderman is going to be very good, I'm just questioning Sony's tactics for generating the most revenue possible from the box office for that release date.
But hey what do I know, I'm a billing manager, I don't work in Greedywood!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
It was lucas who pushed up the release date for episode 2, not sony.

JACOB

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Everyone pretty much knew that AOTC would be opening the same time as TPM did in '99, the weekend before Memorial Day. Sony knows that "Spider-Man" is going to open huge and they're counting on the release of AOTC to actually give Spidey longer legs.

The overflow business from TPM gave "The Mummy" solid legs during it's run. Expect AOTC to do the same for "Spider-Man". When TPM was playing to sold out shows, people opted to see something else since they were out. The same thing happened with "Titanic" during it's run as films like "As Good As It Gets" and "Good Will Hunting" all benefitted greatly from the overflow business.

This was a very smart move on Sony's part because this could end up netting "Spider-Man" a bigger haul than it would've originally had. Opening the movie two weeks before AOTC could put "Spider-Man" over the $250 million mark, something no superhero film has done since the first "Batman" movie in '89.

Rob T

Screenwriter
Until I read this thread, I was kind of sad that Spider-man wasn't going to get 3 weeks to it self (like it was supposed to before AOTC was moved up in the scedule). I hope you guys are right. :)

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
My guess is that Spiderman will be a much superior film compared to AOTC. I think that Spiderman will get very positive reviews. The only reason AOTC will do so well is b/c people want to see how bad Lucas screwed this one up compared to the other load of crap known as phantom menace. Once people see both movies, i have NO DOUBT that many will have enjoyed Spiderman much more.
**Flips off Comp. Monitor!** :angry:

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is that Spiderman will be a much superior film compared to AOTC. I think that Spiderman will get very positive reviews. The only reason AOTC will do so well is b/c people want to see how bad Lucas screwed this one up compared to the other load of crap known as phantom menace. Once people see both movies, i have NO DOUBT that many will have enjoyed Spiderman much more
Oh brother. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Talk about trolling!!!!!!!!!
Yeah...that is the only reason why people will see Star Wars. It couldnt possibly be that people actually LIKED The Phantom Menace...
What a ridiculous post...If TPM bothered you that much, dont see AOTC...stay away from it

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I have been watching this thread closely. And not just because I am a huge Spider-Man fan. I can see it's starting a downward trend which I am sad to say is not unexpected.

Both movies should be extremely entertaining. There are plenty of people who like one over the other. At this point it's just a guessing game as to what will happen at the box office. My preference is no secret. Do I hope Spider-Man will break all box office records? Of course. But there is no reason to get testy or argue about it now. Why don't we all wait and see.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm going to see both films and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy both films, but as a lifelong SF fan and a fan of the Star Wars series (to varying degrees), I'm infinitely more excited about Episode II than ol' Spidey, I'm sure Sam Raimi has done an excellent job with Spidey, I enjoyed his previous superhero film 'Darkman', but given a choice between seeing some kid swinging around a city on a spiderweb or the Jedi Knights in full badmutha mode with even the little garden gnome himself kicking ass, its goodbye Spidey.:D

Mark Maltais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Spider-man will do exceptionaly well IMHO, you have people like me in their 30's that collected the comic book and have been drooling for this kind of film, plus we will all be taking the kiddies too. Star Wars will do better just because it's Star Wars but I believe Spidey will pull in 200-250 mil. no problem.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
It's no surprise to me that this discussion has degenerated into the bashing of Star Wars and George Lucas. First it was Star Wars vs. Lord of the Rings now it's Spider-Man vs. Star Wars. Will these ridiculous rivalries ever end?

I'm very excited about both Spider-Man and Attack of the Clones and my enjoyment of either one does not depend on the other.

Given the fact that movies based on comic book heroes are "in," e.g. X-Men and Blade II, it's almost a given that Spidey will be a financial success. This is a film that has been in the queue for years but because of legal difficulities was unable to be made. The time is right for this film. The capabilities of computer generated effects will serve this film well.

May is going to be a fun month of movie-going for me! Bring it on.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
IF it has sunk to the bashing depths, can we raise it back to where it was and keep to the topic, which is was it wise for Sony to open the web slinger sooooo close to AOTC. One poster mentioned something that may be true, Lucas I believe did move AOTC up a week. If AOTC had stayed on the previous release date I think Peter Parker may generate more revenue at the Box Office. Again I think it will be a great film, I think both will be.

Let me ask everyone this then, if Lucas moved the date to May 10th then what would you do with Spidey?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I think the only real Star Wars bashing was by one member so maybe we can not make too big a deal out of it and move forward...
I think Spiderman is going to do VERY well but there's plenty of room for both of them (Spidey & AOTC's) this summer.:emoji_thumbsup:
If both of these movies turn out to be as good as I hope then this will be one great summer! Not to mention FOTR coming out on DVD. :)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
Contrary to popular belief, Lucas never moved the release date up a week. It was always rumored that the movie would open on May 22nd, but Lucasfilm only made one official announcement about the release and that was when they said (through the official site) that the movie would be opening on the 16th.

Lucasfilm opened TPM the week before Memorial Day weekend and they're doing the same with AOTC. They never said AOTC was coming out on Memorial Day weekend, that was just fan speculation. From what I understand, they always intended on releasing AOTC the same time they opened TPM, a week before Memorial Day.

As for the bashing, I don't understand why some have to turn this into a "Spider-Man" vs. "Star Wars" thing. Both movies will do huge business and "Spider-Man" will benefit greatly from the release of AOTC. Trust me on this.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I think most of Spiderman's volume will be done in the first 2 weeks anyway so when AOTC comes out, it will die a quick death. AOTC is one that will draw viewers back again and again so it will last for weeks and weeks.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Because it has to do so in it's 3rd week against a Star Wars film that's brand new in theaters. It'll make money once AOTC hits. It's just not gonna make a lot of it, in my opinion. My estimate is that 65-70% of it's total domestic box office take will occur in the two weeks before AOTC opens. A huge opening weekend, followed by good numbers during the week. Follwed by another big take in it's second week, followed by more decent numbers during Monday thru Wednesday. Then AOTC opens, and it takes a huge hit, pulling in a meager, but still repsectable 3rd weekend take.

I don't buy into the theory of much spillover business from a film like AOTC. Why? Because multiplexes these days are huge, and in practically all of them, at least in the big to medium size cities, AOTC is going to be on multiple screens. At my Regal theater, I can tell you that AOTC will be on at least 5 screens. I also believe that at most big multiplexes like mine with a lot of screens, as there seems to be a lot of, AOTC will probably be on at least 3 screens. There are about 35 of the big multiplexes in Atlanta alone. My point is that the people that go to see AOTC on opening weekend, 95% of them will get in. Not to mention a lot of screens are huge, seating as many as 500 people or more. So ultimately, I don't think there's going to be much spillover. I could be wrong, but that's my theory. In any case, Spiderman will in all likelihood make a lot of money and break 200 million.

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
Lou this is why I was questioning Sony's timing at maximizing profits for Spiderman. Someone correct me if I am wrong but the TPM had the biggest opening weekend ever correct? That record may be broken with AOTC.

If AOTC is better than TPM many will see the 3-5x with their families. I'm sure Spiderman will get repeat biz and spill-over revenue........but how much? Does anyone else know what other films in this are debuting in May? Again I don't know why but 200M for web-slinger on that release date doesn't sit well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks