What's new

Spiderman vs. Attack of the Clones (1 Viewer)

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
Wow I just realized Spiderman is opening on May 3rd in the US with AOTC opening on May 16th. I find that odd that Sony is opening this flick sooooo close to AOTC.

I think this flick will open to about 50M or so maybe 30M the following weekend, then AOTC will annihilate everyone. Will Spiderman have enough legs to cross the 200M mark, I dunno. Every theater in America will have both of these flicks playing in three or more theaters at least, how much spill over will Spiderman get when AOTC debuts and the weeks that follow?

Do you guys think this is a wise move on Sony's part.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
To be honest with you, I personally feel that there will be no good time this spring or summer to release a movie. I feel they figured they would rather get a couple REALLY good weekends in before AOTC instead of having to compete with an already established film.

As for AOTC, I feel we may have the film to break the $100mil opening weekend.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I hate when studios avoid a major release by practically a month now. It just means that I have nothing to watch for that entire month. I'm not one to keep going back to see the same film.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
No film ever has done ALL the business in a weekend. Sony is putting Spiderman in the same slot the original "The Mummy" did in 1999 against TPM. "The Mummy" did about $150 but it didn't have a built in audience like Spiderman, so I think it's entirely possible for it to hit $200 million.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
I think "Spider-Man" will perform a lot like "The Mummy Returns" did last summer. It'll have a huge opening and coast it's way past the $200 million mark. The only question is will Spidey be a $250 million-plus performer or not?

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand. Because AOTC is going to be in theaters does that mean no one will be going to see other movies? Spider-Man will do fine. Which will do better is yet to be seen.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
I plan on seeing both films. These two are 2 of the 3 of my highly anticipated to see films this year. The other of course is LOTR:The Two Towers

capt

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
I think Spiderman will have a big couple of weeks. I believe it will make it to 200 million. But, there's no way it will reach 275 million, with 250 milion being a long shot. I predict 210 million. I've always said it's box office will drop like a rock when AOTC opens. There's no way you can make me believe it's box office isn't gonna be affected greatly by AOTC, as compared to if AOTC wasn't opening two weeks later..

As for AOTC, It will probably do 300+ million. But I don't see it beating TPM. Maybe if word of mouth is extremely positive, then and only then will it have a chance. But I doubt it. I predict 370 million dollars.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I hate when studios avoid a major release by practically a month now. It just means that I have nothing to watch for that entire month.
Well, there are other films out there besides blockbusters. Perhaps in that lull, you might want to check out a film that is farther down your to-see list.
Count me in as another person who doesn't understand the thinking that because Spiderman is going to be released so close to AOTC, it is going to "die" at the BO. Both films will have huge opening weekends and both will probably taper off quickly after that. AOTC might have a chance at being a long-run success, but it isn't going to swallow every other film's revenue, except for its opening weekend and the weekend after. After that, it will even out and people will resume watching other films.
Bruce

Les Samuel

Stunt Coordinator
It seems most guys think Spiderman is a lock for 200M, maybe I am low balling the web crawler. If major summer flicks do not do 200M these days it's considered a faliure.
:frowning:
I plan on seeing both

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand. Because AOTC is going to be in theaters does that mean no one will be going to see other movies? Spider-Man will do fine. Which will do better is yet to be seen.
Well, the only problem is the places that don't have multiplexes. Spider-man would be kicked out in favor of AOTC. Even in multiplexes, the number of screens for spiderman will be prematurely reduced to make room for AOTC. Still, there is the spill-over effect, and since theaters in multiplexes rarely fill, the spillover could outweigh the loss of screen numbers.

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
This just in over at Spider Hype:
"The word is that none other than 'Ol Webhead himself will open the New York Stock Exchange on May 3rd. No confirmation that Maguire will be under the mask, but a raised-webbing-costume Spider-Man is scheduled to ring the opening bell on the day his first movie (finally!) debuts."
Darth Vader never did that :D

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
AOTC might have a chance at being a long-run success
Well, TPM had great legs, considering it didn't meet a lot of fans expectations. If AOTC is a better film, and by all indications so far, it very well may be, then it is sure to have long legs as well.

Mike St.Louis

Supporting Actor
I think Spider-Man will do extremely well and give AOTC a run for its money. AOTC has to overcome people's disappointment with TPM. A lot of people I know are not very enthused about AOTC despite the claim it will be 'darker'.

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
I think its a damn good move. Universal released The Mummy 2 weeks before TPM and look at the business it did. It did the holdover business from TPM, same will go for Spiderman.

AOTC will break the $100mil weekend, Im sure of it.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I think both movies will do very well. Spidey will have to be good to break the 250 barrier but AOTC is a lock to do 250+ regardless of how good it is.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
AOTC will hit $350m for sure, Spidey is in the $200m is there to be had, but how much farther than that is a big question mark. Could die there or push to $300m, depends on quality.

But using the OVERFLOW from AOTC is actually a smart idea for a film with a similar demographic. Plenty of people won't be getting their kids into AOTC and will then look at the board to see what else is playing. That will leave Spidey with sell-outs even in week 3-4.

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
My guess is that Spiderman will be a much superior film compared to AOTC. I think that Spiderman will get very positive reviews. The only reason AOTC will do so well is b/c people want to see how bad Lucas screwed this one up compared to the other load of crap known as phantom menace. Once people see both movies, i have NO DOUBT that many will have enjoyed Spiderman much more.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that Spiderman will be a much superior film compared to AOTC. I think that Spiderman will get very positive reviews. The only reason AOTC will do so well is b/c people want to see how bad Lucas screwed this one up compared to the other load of crap known as phantom menace. Once people see both movies, i have NO DOUBT that many will have enjoyed Spiderman much more.
:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks