What's new

Spiderman review HK premiere (1 Viewer)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I just saw Spiderman at its HK premiere. I hate to bring bad news but Spiderman did not live up to expectation. This is coming from a Spiderman fan who grew up with Spiderman cartoons and comics. I can even recite the song now. I liked the 1st half which focused on the beginning. I especially liked the fact that it was very close to the comic book. Tobey Maguire does a great job as Peter and Spidey. I also liked the web swinging from building to building. It looks believable and much better than the old TV movie. The problem I had with this film was that it was slow. There are great action sequences but too much down time between them. It's another case of trailers and promo pieces showing too much of the good stuff. I expected more, especially during the last battle. It may have been that I was just too excited and hyped for this film. The end of the film brought very little applause from the full house. 3 other people (no Spidey knowledge) I went with did not like the film and found it boring.
On a superhero movie scale, Spiderman ranks below Superman, X-Men, and Batman. The first 40~50 minutes are great and I would put it on par with young Clark Kent portion of Superman. 2 hour film actually felt longer. Sigh.:frowning:

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Iv'e been reserved about this movie. For every good comic book translation, there's a stinker. So I'm hopeful, but your review doesn't make it sound as awesome as I want the film to be. I'd really like it to be great. Thanks for the review.:emoji_thumbsup:

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
It seems that Spidey is garnering mixed advance word of mouth. I've heard more positive things but there are more than a few negative reviews floating around out there. On a positive note, people I know via the 'net who write for STARLOG and other genre mags(and whose opinions I absolutely respect) have said very positive things about it, so I remain hopeful. I'll be there on opening day!

Tom Oh

Second Unit
HK Primeire did not include the rumored Hulk teaser. The only trailers attached were MIB2 and Stuart Little 2.

As for the film, you will enjoy it more if you go in with lower expectation. I was singing the Spidey song at home before the premiere. I also agree with some people who preferred the biological looking Goblin of comics to the Power Ranger outgit in the film.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking forward to this film, I was a big Spidey fan growing up, but I have to say that the web swinging scenes in the trailer look very CGI, it looks like a video game to me. It made me a little less enthusiastic about the film, although I still plan on seeing it.

Do the web swinging scenes in the movie look the same as the ones in the trailer?

Tom Oh

Second Unit
SE improves as the film goes on or maybe it was my eyes adjusting to it. I liked the web swinging sequences, especially when he is first learning to swing from building to building
I was annoyed that Green Goblin was able to sneak up on Spidey. What ever happened to Spidey sesnses tingling?
I hope you enjoy it but do go in with a lowered expectation. You'll enjoy it more.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Tom - your reaction is the most lukewarm one I've heard yet.

Everyone else has been very positive.

I am taking your advice though and going in with a restrained attitude.

Once I see Spidey swinging though - I will probably lose it!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks