Spiderman at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by eekrat, Oct 23, 2002.

1. eekrat

eekrat Extra

I preordered Spiderman at $16.99, but my order status shows a price reduction to $14.99 and shipping is still free.

2. Terry H

Terry H Second Unit

Good news. Thanks.

3. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

I concur, message is authentic! My final price has been changed also.
    Think they'll change the final price of my AOTC pre-order?

4. Tommy T

Tommy T Stunt Coordinator

OK, just checked. AOTC has been reduced from $19.99 to $17.99. I'm 2 for 2 today.

5. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Maybe...just maybe...a certain chain will replease Epsiode II a week or so early like they did with Episode I last year. [​IMG]

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

All Sci-Fi/Horror is on sale w/ 10% off this week at BB... probably reflects the sale [​IMG]

7. James D

James D Second Unit

I agree with Rob. I think that it is too early for BB to be adjusting the price on AOTC. Let us hope that the price will be even cheaper than $17.99.[​IMG]

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Since the cat is out of the bag, yes BB's price for Spidey will be $14.99. Return of the Green Goblin, too...but Wal-Mart will have the latter for $14.44. They may do that or similar for Spider-Man. I dunno yet.
    I wonder what K-Mart will do? [​IMG]
    As for AOTC, no that price is not what it will cost come street date. Or, if so, it will be coincidence.

9. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

10. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Tony... I never said it was a "good deal" I was merely informing people about the sale [​IMG]

11. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Attack of the Clones WILL be able to be purchased as cheap as Spider-man.

Man, E.T., Spider-man, and Star Wars for about $15.00 each! Gotta love it.

12. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

13. TonyTone

Rob--I never said or implied that you said that the Best Buy 10% was a good deal, only that IMHO Best Buy isn't fooling anyone with their shrewd "mark them up and then offer 10% off" ruse. Sure, there are a few of the 10%-off Sci-Fi/Horror DVD movies that weren't marked up this way (I think ID4 Five-Star version is one of them) but OTOH the "Aliens" example in my previous post clearly shows how sneaky Best Buy (thinks they) can be. I believe someone else had posted a thread not too long ago commenting on exactly this type of price-change shenanigan.

14. Dave H

Dave H Producer

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Best Buy probably did the reduction because CVS and Wal-Mart at least have it at $14.99

16. Pete_S

Pete_S Stunt Coordinator

I have reason to believe that a certain chain store that's been getting into the loss leader business a lot lately will be selling AOTC for $14.87. To avoid any trouble we'll have to call it a rumor at this point, but... [​IMG]
    Edit: Whew, I guess it doesn't really matter if another retailer will be selling it at $9.99!

17. TonyTone

FWIW--at least my local Best Buy, if not others, are dangling the carrot on the Spidey LE sets; if you buy the box set and subscribe to Netflix, you get a $10 Best Buy gift card by mail. Too bad Walmart isn't advertising the box set in their weekly ad--otherwise I coulda saved an additional $2+. However, I wonder if the Best Buy cashier drones would catch on if I printed a copy the Walmart online sales price (not the same as printing a copy of the weekly ad that can be viewed online) and try to pass it off as an online copy of the weekly ad...
    Also--I always wondered what the heck was in those Netflix DVD cases; turns out they contain Best Buy coupons (cut out so as to fit neatly in the spindle where the DVD would normally go) for various purchases--$5 off any video game/accessory $19.99 and up; $2 off any movie $19.99 and up...you get the picture. The $5 off video game/accessory may come in handy, and I guess $2 off a DVD is better than nothing; if anything else, at least I can reuse the case itself![​IMG]

18. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

Is there a charge for the Netflix subscription from Best Buy?

Also what's the deal on the buy 1, get 1 free sticker on the Spiderman wrapper?

Thanks

19. TonyTone