What's new

Spider-man superbit (1 Viewer)

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All,

I just recieved a Columbia catalogue of new titles that are due for release 2nd quater this year. The most interesting one was a Spider-Man superbit edition.

Now I understand this is region 2 only but is there already a superbit version available in Region 1.

Lance UK

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Well tha makes a change for us poor buggers over here to get something first.

The flyer says out this summer. Other titles are:

The Dark Crystal
Legends of The Fall
Labyrinth
Das Boot

I for one will be getting Spider-Man and Das Boot

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Just had a look at the superbit UK website and they've also got Gladiator on there. This just gets better!

Lance UK

Gabe Sigler

Stunt Coordinator
Umm, Gladiator is a Dreamworks title, so how can this be a Superbit?? (Unless Columbia has the rights to Gladiator in the UK...)

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
Doh. Gladiator could actually use a new transfer (current R1 has some mosquito noise and blocking)

James Reader

Screenwriter
[sarcasm]Yeah, we really need a superbit Gladiator being as the existing disc is already only on one disc, has Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks, and a bitrate that on average is higher than most other superbit releases[/sarcasm]

Don't believe the hype Lance!

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Yeh I know what your saying James but I don't either region 1 or 2 version so this might be an opportunity to pick up a copy..... Or if what you say is true I might as well get down to HMV now and pick up a cheap copy in the sale!

Eric F

Screenwriter
When's the Spidey Superbit slated for release? It pisses me off a bit that I went and purchased the collector's box, and now there's a Superbit edition coming out.

At any rate I have HBO-HD now, and HBO should start showing Spiderman in May, so I'll have to think hard about purchasing the Superbit. As we know with HBO, once they get ahold of a major blockbuster like Spidey they show it constantly.

Declan

Second Unit
get yourself the current one cause unless the r2 superbit has DTS-ES descrete (the current is only DTS-ES matrix unlike the r1 which is ES descrete) because the picture and sound are excellent and it's definitley one of my all-time favourite discs. Plus you get all the special features. Personally I cant see how the picture or the sound (unless they have Es descrete this time) can be improved over the current r2. Plus you can pick it up for a tenner....... as appossed to the £22.99 HMV usually charge for Superbits.

Dennis Pagoulatos

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dennis
Don't know what the average bit rate of "Gladiator" R1 was...but to my eyes, there is a ton of compression artifacting from the get-go. They could use a transfer split over 2 discs...or whatever it takes, because some scenes look fantastic, some look poor, so there IS room for improvement.

-Dennis

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Dennis, with all due respsct, are you joking? "Gladiator" is still 1 of my best looking discs... I constantly WOW people with it when they come over.

From DVD file...
Video: How Does The Disc Look?

As with all Dreamworks titles, the image of Gladiator is a real gem. The anamorphic widescreen picture makes excellent use of the extra resolution afforded by DVD. Whites are pure, blacks are deep and everything in between is absolutely perfect. There's no sign of oversaturation, even the heavy reds of the battle worn blood. Compression is also expertly handled with just a few shots very early on that exhibited only a minor bit pixel break up. Contrast is also excellent with fine details visible even in shadow surroundings. Occasional stair-stepping and moiré NTSC artifacting and just a touch of edge enhancement, revealing slightly harder edges during a few daylight scenes, are the only areas where the picture sometime goes astray. These are extremely minor complaints, however. Gladiator is truly beautiful..."

What is your settup...???

:) D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'd agree with the previous comments.
Gladiator looks spectacular on my set-up ( dlp fp, screen width about 86").
i realize there are variable here having to do with the particular films color palattes, lighting, use of filters, etc- but the Gladiator picture, with its full motion menus, commentaries, DTS track, just has so much more snap and visual dazzle than the Gattaca superbit i have, its just not even close.
[sarcasm] How can this be?! [/sarcasm]

i have friends that roll their eyes when i talk abut EE and such, but now i frequently feel like rolling my eyes whenever i hear people petitioning if only their (already strong looking) favorite titles could get 'super-bitted'.

i'm so glad Warner and Fox haven't been cheesy enough to try to horn in on the 'equipment fetishist' demographic by creating a Superior High Resolution™ logo to slap on their otherwise excellent products.

i feel i'm very much past the point of needing a superbit™ logo on a package to b impressed with a picture.
possibly i don't even need a high bit rate in all instances either;
recent discs that (visually) have left me drooling:
Quest For Fire
Gloria
Below
Day The Earth Stood Still
The Bad And the Beautiful
Sunset Boulevard

not a superbit in the bunch( and they are all more impressive looking than the aforementioned Gattaca).

as for Spider-man, i loved it the first two times i've seen it, but it hasn't worn as well on subsequent viewings.
the current edition is just fine for my needs.

Declan

Second Unit
yep the current Spiderman (i've the r1 version) does me grand. And what was all this chat about the 5.1 being a bit lifeless on it. I thought it was great especially when Willem Dafoe hears the Green Goblin in his house(or head!).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks