Spider-Man Removes the Mask!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm, Jun 15, 2006.

1. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm Supporting Actor

If you're a big geek like me, this is huge news.

If you're a national news agency, it's also huge news:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060614...Yw NtZW5ld3M-

Dag, yo! I also just dropped a big post on the subject on my blog. Click below to read and respond!

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

3. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

I really don't think the Spider-Man movie franchise needs more hype. Especially since the movie doesn't come out for a year.

I refuse to be so cynical as to believe they're going against 45 years of Spider-Man tradition as a marketing stunt. There's just no way.

4. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Ayayay...

So basically, Joe Quesada wanted Peter and Mary Jane apart but not divorced, because "a divorced Peter Parker would be even further away from what Spider-man used to be, much more so than a married Peter Parker", but a PUBLIC unmasking isn't gonna cause a monumental shift in the character's life? Can't wait to see how they'll retcon this one out of existence when they realize they messed up again.

Like when they "killed" aunt May ("oops, our bad, it was actually an actress!")

Like when they "revealed" Peter was the clone and Ben was the real Spider-man ("oops, our bad, Ben really was the clone! And look, we resurrected Norman Osborne while we were at it, just so we have something to undo later, y'see")

Like when they "killed" MJ and had Peter be romantically pursued by a 15 year old girl (Actually, I don't remember how they fixed that piece of shit storyline. I know the girl became Spider-woman for a while and realized Peter was too old for her, but how did they bring MJ back? Clone? Secretly kidnapped before the plane blew up?)

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I've long suspected Peter Parker was Spider-Man.

--
    H

6. Paul McElligott

Paul McElligott Cinematographer

Paul McElligott
    I still don't believe it.

7. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer

It's like how EVERY "ER" ad touts "this weeks" episode as the most intense hour of TV this year.

In a statement, Chuck Mayer trumpeted this post as the most shocking post in HTF history!

P.S. Makes for a neat what-if, but it changes the paradigm so much, I have serious doubt they'll live up to the implications and make it work.

Standing by to laugh at the retcon.

8. MarkHastings

Remember when the first Batman movie came out? They borught back all TONS of Batman merchandise (i.e. T-Shirts, toys, etc.) at least a year before anyone knew a movie was coming out.

It's all about awareness. They do something to get you talking and excited, and then when you hear about the movie, you get excited yet again, then the trailer comes out and you get excited once more, etc. etc. etc.

It's all combined to keep the excitement alive until the movie is released. Those Hollywood investors need some kind of initiative to keep investment into a movie [​IMG]

9. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

If you read the article, it is a "what if" type of mini-series of comics, it doesn't look to become part of the main Spidey storyline. It's an offshoot storyline that hypothesizes what these superheroes would do in this situation, once the series ends it ends (meaning it likley doesn't follow them back to their comic storylines.)

Comics do this all the time, like when they set up a "what if Spidey fought Wolverine to the death?" type of situation. It's fun, but it's not meant to alter the original comic lines.

10. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I had to laugh every time I read a Superman comic that veered from the usual storyline, and sloughed it off by saying "it's ok, folks, this is an imaginary story". Ok.....name a Superman story that isn't! [​IMG]

11. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Joe, I'm not reading Civil War at the moment (I'd rather pick up the trades later), but I hadn't heard it's not part of regular Marvel continuity. I guess that explains it all.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I thought Civil War was in continuity.

13. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

hmm, supers have to stop being supers and register as weapons..kinda sounded like the Incredibles there for a moment..

14. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    As I understand, it completely is "in continuity", though what that phrase means anymore is up in the air. How many "reboots" has the Marvel Universe dealt with?

I'd love to think they are going somewhere with this, but if it looks like a gimmick, talks like a gimmick, and walks like a gimmick...

As a note, I bought a Captain America trade a years ago from 2002 (John Cassaday art). Oddly enough, it shows Captain America taking his mask off on live TV and stating his name...Steve Rogers. So I find it odd he is on the completely opposite side of this (with a secret identity) initiative just scant years later.

Such is modern comics continuity.

15. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Civil War is in continuity. And it's quite scary.

Cap is on the other side because he sees forcing people to reveal their identities is a violation of civil liberties.

I just love when people judge the quality of comics storytelling based on their predictions about what the company is going to do two years down the road. [​IMG]

Holadem's post is the funniest.

16. MarkHastings

Andrew, please don't take my speculations as a slam against the comic.

I don't think this storyline is a bad thing for the comic book, I'm just saying that it's quite obvious why they are making such a "News Worthy" storyline.

It's all good.

17. Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Sorry, my brother. I mistook you for one of the posters on my other forum, HeroClix Realms, haven for whiners and haters everywhere, proof that the main function of the internet is to bitch about comics and Star Wars.

Irony is seldom seen over there. I didn't recognize it when I saw it.

I need to spend more time over here.

But my argument is that, movie or no movie, this is a newsworthy story. Spider-Man removing his mask is like Hawkeye Pierce enlisting as a footsoldier.

18. MarkHastings

Most definitely...but there's usually a motive behind a newsworthy story. It's almost always to drum up business (or create awareness). It's just a matter of how much does the newsworthy storyline harm the integrity of the item?

In this case, I don't think it'll harm the comic.

19. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Andrew,
    I love comics. It's not a slam on the storytelling or the event. It's a slam against the hype and Joe Quesada calling it the biggest event evAR! Continuity does matter to me...that's where emotional investment comes from You can't expect someone to take "this changes everything" seriously when it never, ever does. See primetime TV. Status quo is king. I do agree Spidey revealing himself is major news, even in the real world.

My point about Cap (my favorite Marvel character by a longshot [and I like Longshot too]) is that his secret identity was revealed in a major storyline in the last four years, and done specifically in opposition to his outlook in this story. I assume his identity is secret again. And that this story won't address the 180 degree change in heart.

My worry is that Civil War (I haven't read either of the first two issues yet), which is a neat idea and has fantastic art (the only Marvel title I am collecting besides The Ultimates), might be bending back one of those edges that comics need in place to survive. Exploring something like this realistically (the registration of super-powered beings) merely illustrates one of the inherent sillinesses of comic books. I don't believe it will stand up to scrutiny. I am aware one of the writers (Paul Jenkins) feels very strongly about one of the positions, but it's logically indefensible for Captain America (or Superman) to oppose the idea of registration as a law. Superheroes break the laws all the time. All of the heroes (Batman - "Of course we're criminals. We've always been criminals. -- DKR). This works in fantasy land because these great men and women with power can be trusted to use it wisely. Remove that caveat, and the entire premise of superhero comic books comes crashing down. The closer you get to reality, the more likely Steve Rogers would find the notion that he can break the law with impunity (to save lives, etc) is as fascist and un-American as you can get.

Kind of like lawsuits...Astro City dealt with this a few years back. No way any crook brought in by Batman would get convicted. No way any business destroyed during a fight with Modok wouldn't sue the Avengers. Insurance premiums would be astronomically high in a comic universe [​IMG]

See my point. I love comics, superhero comics in particular. But they exist as a well-balanced house of cards on a few basic staples:

People are inherently good.
    Power does not corrupt everyone.
    The public accepts secret identities.
    The law allows superhuman activity unsupervised.

Long post. Yes, I thought about it too much. That's my nature.

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Eh, I don't know as it's in direct opposition. Just because I might do something doesn't mean I'd support laws saying everyone else should fall in line.