What's new

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021) (1 Viewer)

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
I watched Homecoming and Far From Home for the first time over the weekend. For some reason, I never really cared for Tom Holland in this role, but he's definitely grown on me now that I've seen these two films. I wanted to go into No Way Home with full context.

Hope I can get in on opening night and that Cineplex here in Canada is still doing social distancing in their auditoriums.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There are some new TV spots on the Sony Pictures Canada YouTube page that include some new footage not seen in the trailers.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
We know that tickets are going to go on sale next Monday.

My theater has posted showtimes already, although you can't buy anything yet.

I was surprised that the first showtime is 3:15pm on Thursday, December 16. That's really stretching the idea of "sneak previews" and almost makes for a full day of screenings on Thursday. Of course, I was expecting previews on Thursday evening but 3:15 is awfully early. I may not be able to go until the evening. I hope I can manage to block out spoilers from the earlier showings until I can go. I might just not come online that day.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
We know that tickets are going to go on sale next Monday.

My theater has posted showtimes already, although you can't buy anything yet.

I was surprised that the first showtime is 3:15pm on Thursday, December 16. That's really stretching the idea of "sneak previews" and almost makes for a full day of screenings on Thursday. Of course, I was expecting previews on Thursday evening but 3:15 is awfully early. I may not be able to go until the evening. I hope I can manage to block out spoilers from the earlier showings until I can go. I might just not come online that day.

I have one vacation day I need to schedule... wondering which day I should take? :emoji_thinking::emoji_scream:;)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
They looked to me like Andrew Garfield's gloves from him ASM1 costume, but upon further review I'm not so sure... :)

Prediction.
When MJ goes off the scaffold this will be the first appearance of Toby’s Spider-Man.
He will save MJ.

I don’t believe that the villains from Toby and Garfield will be in this without those Spider-men also being in it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don’t believe that the villains from Toby and Garfield will be in this without those Spider-men also being in it.
I get that. But what if they're not? Would it ruin the movie for you not to see them?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Prediction.
When MJ goes off the scaffold this will be the first appearance of Toby’s Spider-Man.
He will save MJ.
I hope not for a couple of reasons.

My hope is that if they are using Toby and Andrew in this (very likely) they will actually factor into the story and not just “show up” at the climax. I really think that if they are being used that they should factor into the story and have conversations with MCU Peter that shape his perspective on being Spider-Man. The scene being discussed may or not be near the climax, but I feel like it might be.

The other reason is that if one of the other Peters is to save a falling MJ it absolutely should be Andrew, because of the tragedy with Gwen.

I really wish they didn’t put that in the trailer because now I really hope that it is Andrew that saves her for that reason and if it doesn’t happen it’ll feel like a lost opportunity.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The other reason is that if one of the other Peters is to save a falling MJ it absolutely should be Andrew, because of the tragedy with Gwen.
If Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man saves a random girl that he does not know would do nothing to ease the tragedy with Gwen or heal that wound for him. It would just be him saving some random person, which in and of itself would be a noble act. But I don't think there's any correlation to be had between saving Michelle Jones and not saving Gwen Stacy because Michelle Jones is not Gwen Stacy.
I really wish they didn’t put that in the trailer because now I really hope that it is Andrew that saves her for that reason and if it doesn’t happen it’ll feel like a lost opportunity.
What difference does it make whether it was in the trailer or not? (I'm not trying to be antagonistic here. I'm really trying to understand your point of view.) These appear to be the options for how this moment plays out:

1) Tom Holland's Peter saves her.
2) I'm wrong and one of the other Spider-Men saves her.
3) Someone other than Spider-Man saves her.
4) She finds some way to save herself. (This looks unlikely based on the footage of the fall we have already seen, but who knows?)
5) She does not get saved and dies.

Why does putting it in the trailer have to mean that the only version of events that will satisfy you is for Andrew Garfield to save her?

Unless they’re cut out at the last minute then the previous two Spider-Men are definitely in this film.
What does this mean? They're in it unless they cut the scenes out? Your assertion makes no sense whatsoever. I do not believe that they are in this film. But for the sake of discussion, let's assume for a moment that they are. If Sony actually got Tobey Maguire and Andrew Garfield back, they would not then cut those appearances out of the film because that would defeat the purpose of having those actors return.

I hope that when people see the film and they're not in it, that can be the end of this issue. Poor Andrew Garfield should not have to be asked if he shot deleted scenes for No Way Home for the rest of his life. Garfield has tried his best to promote two other films this fall and it seems like people just want to ask him about a role he hasn't played for seven years.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Not even a little bit.
I agree, but I'm afraid that some people have convinced themselves so throughly that Maguire and Garfield are present that there's going to be backlash against the film if they aren't. While I understand the passion, I feel like that is unfortunate because people are setting themselves up to be disappointed. I don't mean this as a personal attack on anyone here, just as a generalized statement.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
If Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man saves a random girl that he does not know would do nothing to ease the tragedy with Gwen or heal that wound for him. It would just be him saving some random person, which in and of itself would be a noble act. But I don't think there's any correlation to be had between saving Michelle Jones and not saving Gwen Stacy because Michelle Jones is not Gwen Stacy.
Or it would be him saving what he views as this other Peter’s “Gwen”, and have tons of cathartic redemption for him.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
What difference does it make whether it was in the trailer or not? (I'm not trying to be antagonistic here. I'm really trying to understand your point of view.) These appear to be the options for how this moment plays out:

1) Tom Holland's Peter saves her.
2) I'm wrong and one of the other Spider-Men saves her.
3) Someone other than Spider-Man saves her.
4) She finds some way to save herself. (This looks unlikely based on the footage of the fall we have already seen, but who knows?)
5) She does not get saved and dies.

Why does putting it in the trailer have to mean that the only version of events that will satisfy you is for Andrew Garfield to save her?
Because Spider-Man failing to save his girlfriend from falling to her death was a pretty devastating major event in the characters life. Both in the “Amazing” movie series and in comic book cannon. Since the “movie only“ viewers experienced that storyline through Andrew, it would (or at least should) have much more emotional significance to the viewer for the Spider-Man who once failed to save his own girlfriend to save this Spider-Man’s girlfriend. Having Tobey do it would be random, and having Tom do it would just be “another save” both of which would lack the emotional baggage that elevates it to a more symbolically redemptive achievement.

The reason I’d have preferred it not to have been in the trailer is because of this very discussion. Based on Andrew’s Spider-Man’s traumatic past and the likely/expected inclusion of his version of Spidey in this movie, imagining him being the one to make the save in a situation that mirrors that event from his last film simply is hard to not think about for the reasons I explained above. If this moment doesn't play out like I’ve found myself imagining and it wasn’t in the trailer, then no big deal because I never would have been thinking about it I the first place until it happened however it happens. But putting such imagery in a trailer that calls back to such an iconic moment from the character’s past, in a movie that has made no secrets that it is revisiting at least some characters from these previous movies now sets me up for disappointment if it doesn’t play out like that.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since the “movie only“ viewers experienced that storyline through Andrew, it would (or at least should) have much more emotional significance to the viewer for the Spider-Man who once failed to save his own girlfriend to save this Spider-Man’s girlfriend.
I get what you're saying but I don't agree. Peter not saving Gwen is something he will deal with for the rest of his life and saving her counterpart in another universe wouldn't fix that. It's like in Spider-Verse when the Jake Johnson Peter sees the MJ from Miles Morales' universe and Gwen has to tell him, "It's not your MJ." It's not the same thing.

As you know, Andrew Garfield has been extremely adamant that he is not in this film. Tom Holland has said that the previous Spider-Men are not in this film. Tobey Maguire has not had to face this question as far as I know because he hasn't been making the promotional rounds for anything lately. I understand that even if they were in the film, they wouldn't be able to confirm this, which is why the rumors persist despite the denials. I get that they're actors and they probably have good poker faces. However, I really don't think they are lying. I think Garfield is exhausted answering a question that he shouldn't have to have posed to him every time he does press for another movie, and I think he is telling the truth.

But putting such imagery in a trailer that calls back to such an iconic moment from the character’s past, in a movie that has made no secrets that it is revisiting at least some characters from these previous movies now sets me up for disappointment if it doesn’t play out like that.

I have decided that based on the evidence we have right now, for me, they are not going to be in the film. I am not saying this because I would be against an appearance. I just don't think it is going to happen. Because that is what I hthink, if it turns out they are in it, I will get a surprise. If they are not in it, then I've already accepted it and will be able to receive whatever this movie presents me without going into the theater set up for disappointment.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the movie even if it doesn't go the way you'd like.

I also find it interesting that in general (I'm not singling you out, I'm just saying, a lot of people) seemed not to like The Amazing Spider-Man films very much. And yet Andrew Garfield can't stop being asked if he's in this one. It is interesting that more people seem to care about his presence here than seemed to like his films when he was the actor who really had the role. Again, I'm not pinning this on you. It's just a general observation.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member

My hope is that if they are using Toby and Andrew in this (very likely) they will actually factor into the story and not just “show up” at the climax. I really think that if they are being used that they should factor into the story and have conversations with MCU Peter that shape his perspective on being Spider-Man. The scene being discussed may or not be near the climax, but I feel like it might be.

Spoiler re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife below... don't click if you haven't seen it.
Yes, similar to what happened in GB: Afterlife, which I overall enjoyed, I was hoping that the return of the original ghostbusters (Aykroyd, Murray, Hudson) would have them be more involved rather than a short phone call midway and then showing up 5 min from the end in a deus ex machina-type moment. My preference/hope would have been to have them appear with at least 30 min or more to go, help with the planning, mentor the kids, etc. Which would have also allowed for more comedy.

Tobey and Andrew coming to help with only 5 min left would be a wasted opportunity.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Spoiler re: Ghostbusters: Afterlife below... don't click if you haven't seen it.
Yes, similar to what happened in GB: Afterlife, which I overall enjoyed, I was hoping that the return of the original ghostbusters (Aykroyd, Murray, Hudson) would have them be more involved rather than a short phone call midway and then showing up 5 min from the end in a deus ex machina-type moment. My preference/hope would have been to have them appear with at least 30 min or more to go, help with the planning, mentor the kids, etc. Which would have also allowed for more comedy.

Tobey and Andrew coming to help with only 5 min left would be a wasted opportunity.
Right, perfect example.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks